Hayward 250 heater series will not ignite

Nov 29, 2012
I have a H250IDL or an H400IDL hayward pool/spa heater. I haven't used the heater in a couple of years and tried to start it to use the hot tub the other day and it will not heat up. The front cover was taken off & we followed the instructions of turning the on/off button and we hear the "click" and the heater turns on for a short time but will not produce heat. We received the IF code which I understand is ignition failure however I'm not sure what the next step is. I'm not even sure where the pilot igniter is to clean it in case of debris. Can someone PLEASE help? Thank you

If you are getting the IF code it could be the ignitor or a sooted up heat exchanger which is causing the unit to go into the IF code. Most times when you fool around with the ignitor to clean it, you end up making things worse. First pop the top off and see if the heat exchanger to all sooted up. If it is then you have to clean it properly.

I have the manual on the Hayward system but I'm not certain with the pilot light ignition switch is....please help. I wouldn't try starting it without first cleaning it but I need to locate it first! LOL

Thanks so much

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.