Pool winterized - Now the real work starts

Glock

Jun 3, 2012
Mesquite, Texas
Now that my pool is winterized I have some changes to make. I want to hard plumb it and bond it. I know how to bond it and have all the stuff. However, I need to know some things before I hard plumb.
Other than the straight schedule 40 1.5" pipe, 45 and 90 degree pieces, the PVC cleaner and glue, and 4 unions, do I need anything else? My bonding is going through the skimmer and all I have is the pump and filter, no heater.

I also plan to move my pump/filter from its current location to the side of my house. The distance is less than 20 feet.

Any advice?

The plumbing running from the equipment to the pool should be buried 18" deep. Be sure to use pvc glue on both pipe and fitting to insure a good seal. If you use any male or female adapters use teflon tape and teflon paste to prevent leaking. If the low tempature in your area gets below freezing use a pipe insulater on the above ground plumbing and run the pump at night when the temprature is the coldest.

By cleaner, do you mean primer? There is a difference. You certainly want to use primer & solvent (glue). The cleaner is not really needed IMO since you are using new/clean PVC.

Going 18" deep will help ensure that it is not accidentally hit while digging later and help get below the freeze line (although may not be applicable for you). One other "safety" would be to run an 18 AWG tracer wire above the pipe. That way someone could always determine where the pipes are run (like they do for electrical and gas lines). No code requirement for this ... but while the trench is open ...

Got to agree with JBizzel on running a wire or possibly 1/4" rebar above the line so you can find it later.
Not sure what code is in your part of the country (call local building department- no charge for answers) but here, all waterlines are 3 feet minimum burial depth and electric in conduit is 18" min with 24" preferred. Probably due to freezing.

Yes, I mean primer. Sorry, I know how to use the stuff because my late step-father was a plumber and passed his knowledge on to me but he wasn't very technical. lol. I call it cleaner only because he did. It's the primer. I have some 4 gauge power cable left over from a car ignition grounding kit I used to make and sell that will run the length of the pipe. Although, my sprinkler system is about 10" under ground and runs all over the place it seems. I will try to get around it as well so I am hand digging my trench. Fun! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.