Best way to plumb diving pool for heater?

Nov 13, 2012
I am planning to install a heat pump with chilling option for my inground diving pool in Phoenix AZ. I will use a solar blanket when heating the pool.

I would like to make the system as efficient as possible and was told that I may want to replumb my main drain back to the pump area. Currently my main drain is plumbed to the skimmer which may not provided the best circulation when heating. This is a concern of mine since the diving pool is fairly deep.

I believe my installer may also have been suggesting to reverse flow of the main drain.

If I don't replumb the main drain will the heater only heat the top of my pool?

Re: Pool Heater plumbing for diving pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

Both pools I have had were the same with the floor plumbed to the skimmer. You should have a space ship or twinkie looking float/diverter valve sitting in the skimmer below the skimmer basket. There is a flap that when closed results in more water being drawn from the floor than the skimmer. So, adding a $10 diverter seems like a much cheaper option than replumbing anything and will give you adequate circulation.

You can see pictures of the diverters here about 70% of the way down the page:
pool-school/visual_encyclopedia

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.