False salt reading?

Feb 27, 2012
I have an aqua rite salt system that is reading about 4400-4600 ppm salt. So I take a sample to leslies and their electronic probe is reading 2800 ppm. They even checked their own sample to confirm that their device was callibrated correctly.

I cleaned the cell/ no change. The salt level definatly did not taste like 4400ppm when I was in the other day. How do I force the unit to read the current salt level at 2800 ppm? Even with the high reading the system is still producing chlorine.

Hi jeffyzf,
Welcome to TFP!! :wave:

I would recommend purchasing your own own salt test strips to verify it for yourself. Pool store tests are typically highly inaccurate.
Their test solution could be old, their testing/calibration method could be wrong, a high/low calibration issue, etc..
The "AquaChek Salt test strips" are considered on this forum to be the best in the industry and highly accurate. They're a little under 12 bones at Amazon /w free freight.
You want the ones that look like a thermometer on a paper strip.

Aside from that, if your salt reading is truly that far off, more than 500ppm from what the SWG show. This usually indicates that your cell is beginning to fail and will need to be replaced in the near future.
You say you had the board replaced? What version is the board and what cell do you have? T-15, T-8, etc..
The boards have to be set for the cell that is in use. Either via a jumper, or through a software menu.

Thank you for the reply, it was the setting in the control panel, it was set for a t5 and I have a t15 cell. My pool guy was able to help find the setting in the hidden menu and change it. All fixed!

Re: False salt reading? RESET Salt Reading

I have an aqua rite salt system that is reading about 4400-4600 ppm salt. So I take a sample to leslies and their electronic probe is reading 2800 ppm. They even checked their own sample to confirm that their device was callibrated correctly.

I cleaned the cell/ no change. The salt level definatly did not taste like 4400ppm when I was in the other day. How do I force the unit to read the current salt level at 2800 ppm? Even with the high reading the system is still producing chlorine.

How to RESET Salt REading:
Here are two internet links:
How To Recalibrate the Salt Level on a Hayward Aqua Rite - INYOPools.com
How To: Recalibrate the Salt Level on a Hayward Aqua Rite - YouTube

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.