timbozi from SD

Aug 29, 2012
San Diego
Hi Guys!

Recently moved from Seattle to San Diego and are looking at installing a new pool in our backyard. I've met with 4 local pool builders, removed one right from the beginning based upon personality and am working on getting numbers from the other 3. We've decided that we're not going to pay the extra costs for a hot tub, had one in Seattle and it rarely got used.

Here's our current list of we'd like, please comment:
- sport pool design: 3.5' to 5.5' to 4'
- contemporary layout (not free form)
- baja bench pulled out from one corner (so it doesn't intrude on play area)
- rough size of 15' x 30'
- salt system

Here's what some of the bids have stated:
- Gunite or Shotcrete with plaster coating
- Intelliflo variable speed pump: one calls this vs-3050 and the other bid states 4x160. are these the same thing?
- Amerilite 300 or 500 watt lights

Pricing is within about $1500 of each other. One is offering more perimeter feet, the other has some extras in like an auto-cleaner, sun touch control, solar blanket etc. I'm awaiting pricing from the 3rd contractor. All 3 have been in business for over 25 years and to be honest I'm really not sure who to go with! Appreciate your wisdom and guidance!

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
Those two pumps are the same. Have you considered getting solar heat? Pools in San Diego never get warm enough for me...but coming from Seattle you might be used to that!

Feel free to post the details of the bids and we'll look 'em over for you.

We've thought about heat, but are not sure that the budget will allow right now. Am hopeful that if I'm diligent with the solar blanket that we will be able to make good use of it.

Thanks for the offer on looking over the bids, is there a better way to post those? Never know if the pool builders are here trolling :)