Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG salt level for Pool Pilot

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG salt level for Pool Pilot

Is there any reason I would want to keep the salt level higher than the 2500ppm minimum required for optimal performance?
    30,000 gal Pebble Tec, Intellifo 4X160, Pentair 80 DE Quad, Pool Pilot SWG, Easy Touch Controls

2. Back To Top    #2
    The salt level tends to fall over the course of the season due to splash out, backwashing, and overflow. It is often simplest to adjust it to be at the high end of the range at the start of the season so that it ends the season within the low end of the range, without requiring any adjustment over the course of the season. If you don't mind observing and adjusting the level several times during the season you don't need to go that way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Higher salt levels will increase the conductivity of the water which translate into longer cell life. This is why the recommended salt level for the Pool Pilot is 3000 ppm. BTW, the Pool Pilot will work in salt levels up to seawater strength but you don't want to go too high because corrosion then becomes a factor.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks

i am at 2650 and I will watch it, if it goes down quickly I will leave a larger margin for salt loss. I think I would rather have a shorter cell life than a possible corrosion issue.
    30,000 gal Pebble Tec, Intellifo 4X160, Pentair 80 DE Quad, Pool Pilot SWG, Easy Touch Controls

5. Back To Top    #5

Even at 3000 ppm, you don't have a corrosion issue, so I wouldn't be too concerned with trying to maintain the salt at the lower level.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6
    Corrosion does not become an issue until you have salt levels of around 5000-6000 ppm or higher. If you have priced replacement cells you might not think that shorter cell life was a good idea!

7. Back To Top    #7

8. Back To Top    #8

Waterbear,

I understand your concern. I was just going by Pool Pilot's printed statement that optimum efficiency is generated at a level between 2500 and 3500. Hence I thought if that is in the optimum range why not? I suppose they would rather have me burn up cells faster than slewer. Perhaps you can tell me if there is any reference data on the corelation of salinity to cell life, or in just plain english how much less lifespan can I expect at say 2700ppm?

Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

2700 comparing to...? 3000? not much at all. I doubt that you'll actually find such data as life expectancies are normally never tested in real life (apart from customer's pools). They are usually calculated based on accelerated tests in hard conditions.

10. Back To Top    #10

My manufacturer recomend 3500 - 4000ppm salt. Low salt indicator comes on at 2500 and high at 5500.
    8,000 gal IG concrete & tiled lap pool, 1/2 hp pump, 24" sand filter, SWG Auto Clean, whole pool under shed, 3 X 2ft waterfall one end overflow the other end. TF100 Testkit. 80 F Water whole year round.

11. Back To Top    #11

We usually recommend seawater, to those who have equipment and materials able to handle it
    Especially in regions with water restrictions due to drought conditions.

Over here a lot of people who live near canals just pump the canal water in their pool which has a salinity around 15000ppm if i'm not mistaken.