Loud Squeal From Pump

May 17, 2012
Central Georgia
If I shut the pump off for a while, like overnight, or 10 hours during the day, when I turn it back on I get a loud squeal that lasts from 45 minutes to an hour or so. The water seems to be pumping OK, and the pump pressure is good and in the normal range. It seems to me that once the pump gets hot that it quits.

Is it the pump motor itself that's going bad, or do you think it might be in the pump itself? I can't isolate the noise to either one.

Also, I might have a small leak somewhere in the pump/motor area as the pad under the pump/motor is always very damp. I can't find any visible droplets though.

Any ideas?

If there is water under the pump it can mean a leak in the pump or strainer drain valve(s) or the seal has gone bad. If the seal is bad and allowing water to get to the motor bearings it will ruin the bearings and the pump will start making a loud noise when it runs. It it runs long enough with bad bearings it will eventually lock up and not run at all.

That's probably it. I'm just going to keep the pump running until I close the pool for the year, and then pull the pump off. I watched a couple of youtube videos on how to change the ceramic seal. It doesn't look too hard. Of course, with my talent, it will most likely end in disaster. The other night I was attempting to superglue the nose back on a pool torpedo and managed to get it all over 3 fingers.

If you ignore a shaft seal leak, you will, in fact, destroy the motor bearings, and possibly the whole motor (although, in your case, it sounds as if the bearings are already failing).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.