Shocking and chloramines

Aug 31, 2012
Hi,
First post on this site and looking for a little insight on my problem. We had a lot of storms the past week and started to smell some chloramines. Normal ph=7.5 and cl= 5 cya=60-70. Shocked pool using cl level from chart on site to target of 32. Added 3.25 gallons of liquid cl per calculator at night. About hr later readings: FC=41, CC=.2 Next morning before sun comes up reading: FC 33, CC=0 PH=8.2. Added HCL and dropped ph back down. My questions: since the cc=0 that means all of the organics have been consumed but why do I still smell the chloramines coming off the pool? The smell is pretty strong still. I assume something is still breaking down and that is why the smell. But if that is so, why is the CC reading at 0 and should I keep shocking?

Welcome to the forum. :lol: There is a misconception often posted on the forum that 0 CC's meaqns there is no algae. That is not the case. Algae can and does exist often when there is 0 CC's and that should never be used as a guideline.

That you consumed 8ppm of FC overnight is the signal to you that there are organics in your pool and your shock process needs to continue until

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Ok. one and 2 are ok right now so should i wait until tonight to shock again and just lose my cl during the day or should I add cl during the day before it drops more and continue the shock during the light hours?

You should hold shock level as often as every hour. If you let it wait until tonight to bring it back to shock level the algea will gain ground. It's like taking two steps forward and two steps back. You're doing something but you're not getting anywhere. You constantly want to keep moving forward and the way to do that is to keep the FC at shock level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.