Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Now that I've learned all the big things about pool care thanks to this site, a few other minor items have ocurred to me:

Is there a particular angle that my return eye should be aimed? When we moved into the house a few months ago, I hired an "expert" pool guy and he aimed it slightly towards the surface and gave me some reasoning that I cannot recall (but he also told me a bunch of things that I've since learned are totally incorrect, thankfully I will not need outside help again beyond this website!) This causes a fairly strong whirlpool effect, which actually looks pretty cool as you can see the water spinning around pretty vigorously, but I wonder if this is at the expense of keeping bottom water too still? I've had zero problems with water clarity, so more of a curiosity if there is actually any impact. It is a 2HP pump.

Second, what is the sound of a bearing getting ready to go? Maybe since I am asking I know the answer..... I hear a higher pitched metallic like whining that comes and goes, but I've been hearing that since I got it up and running in early July. Pump was left out for two consecutive winters so I had to replace the impeller and all gaskets upon opening.

Thanks all!

If you are not having problems with your circulation, I wouldn't change it. There is no "magic" setting but rather trial and error to give yourself the best circulation pattern. Each pool is different.

I've never had a bad bearing but if I did, I think it would probably sound like that, too! :shock: :shock:

I point my eyeball down slightly towards the bottom, I personally find that this circulates dirt and grass into the middle for easy removal.
I have found if the eyeball is even with the surface that the bottom water doesn't get stirred up enough, this has resulted in noticeable temperature zones (upper VS lower) until swimming mixed them up, as well as a slight slipperiness to the bottom which I can only assume was something unwanted starting to grow.
Putting the eyeball back down quickly resolved both issues.

Just my experiences.

Thanks guys, I will experiment a bit, now that I know there is no one size fits all answer.

Cramar - since you mentioned it, I do notice a slightly slippery bottom but more obvious is there are what I believe are small packets of dirt that collect throughout any slight indent at the pool bottom. Because my water is so incredibly crystal clear (thanks BBB!) these quickly become very noticeable, like within a day after vacuuming them all up. Maybe if I point the return eye more downward these will get swept up and filtered. I'll experiement and report back.

Others please chime in if you got something!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.