Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cleaners the hook to water hose?

1. Back To Top    #1

cleaners the hook to water hose?

Do they work well, and is there a best one to have?

I have a suction side cleaner right now, but I was thinking one of these would be good for quick cleaning and leaf grabbing.
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Yes, they work well for cleaning up after a large amount of leaves/debris has been dumped into the pool (after a storm, fall, etc.). Pentair makes a good one (part #185). Pretty much all of them come with a leaf bag and you can usually find a fine mesh bag for smaller debris. However a regular automatic cleaner or manual vac works better for the smaller stuff.

- Josh
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in South Florida and went through Hurricane Wilma, which dumped loads of tree branches and other stuff in my pool. A deep net leak rake was my best accessory. I had to lend it to a half dozen other neighbors.

On a day to day basis, I have a StaRite Great White suction cleaner, on a 19,000 gallon unscreened pool with many close by trees.
    The best accessory you can get for your suction side cleaner is an inline leaf trap. I'm sure Josh, saltpoolguys.com, can tell you which is the best selling one as he can get them for you.
    I have a Rainbow #179 leaf trap. Wish I had the easier opening #186 though.

I can tell you that this leaf trap catches a load of debris without plugging up your skimmer basket, pump basket, and filter. The clear body allows you to visually inspect when it needs to be cleaned.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    The Rainbow/Pentair leaf canisters are much better than the Zodiac ones (which are much smaller). Other than those brands there aren't many options. The Rainbow ones have been around for a while and they work...
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps