Can't kick the algae or have I?

May 1, 2012
NC USA
Hello-This shocking thing is not going as easily as I hoped.

So I added a two jugs of 6% bleach(182 oz) to my pool two nights ago(Friday) and ran my pump on high in hopes of killing possible algae. It reoccured, only maybe a bit less by morning and I brushed it and ran the pump all day Saturday. I had to leave town so it just ran nonestop. When I returned last night, there was again a small amount- albeit less- of the algae looking brownish clumps on the bottom. So I vacuumed and scrubbed again and ran the pump. Late last night I added three of the 182 oz jugs of bleach and scrubbed and vacuumed. I also checked my filter cartridge to see if I could tell if it was doing it's job. I saw a blackish looking mark on it that was obviously dirtier in that area and poured a bit of bleach directly on it as well for good measure. My pump ran all night last night and today, the algae is back. :( I also had my SWG on Super Clor for 24 hours ending during the night lastnight.

A little more info: we have had rain daily and it hasn't been very warm-maybe 70-80s. Usually much warmer temps here and never had a problem with any of this stuff before. This is a new pool- first season and we are still learning! Oh and I put all pool toys, vacuuum, etc in the pool for a few hours at the beginning of all the bleach addition. I pulled it out when I went to bed though.

My numbers this morning from my TF-100 kit:
PH 8.2 -per my Taylor K-1000 kit.
CL-turned bright orange and seems to have particles in it-so off the chart.
FC-32.5 (at 65 drops of R-871 it stopped changing from bright pink and was a browning color- however I went to 110 drops and still noted no change-so we will use the number 65-??)
CC- Was the pinkish brown color going in but *may* have gotten a bit darker. Nothing to note as far as CCs.
TC- we'll go with 32.5 I guess.
TA-120 but it was clear/yellowish-(urine color) and didn't change at that point. Never went red at all!
CH-170
CYA-45

Thoughts? Advice? I'm horribly afraid I've messed my pool up and not sure how to get this under control. If my algae was dead there wouldn't be brownish stuff clumping up again on the bottom, right? Are the whitish particles dead algae? When I put on the pool lights at night, I can really see little particles floating by the lit area.

Am I on the right path at least? Do I have chlorine lock or something like that?

Thanks everyone!!
-One frustrated mom! :shock:

You don't have chlorine lock, but it appears you may have metals. Can you post a pic of the water?
Have you ever had your water tested for iron?
The blackish looking discoloration on the filter is an indication of metals too.

I'd run an OCLT and see if you pass. If you do then it's time to identify the metals.

Sure! I'll have to do it from my home computer later today when I get home.
My water is pretty clear- however I just recently cleaned the cartridge filter which was caked with mud and super gross. I'll post pix of that too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.