Torrential Rain, Pool Full of Mud

Vacuum to waste, refill the pool and vacuum to waste again until you get the majority of the dirt out of the pool. When you get down to the last of it the filter will take care of it. you can also add DE to the filter to assist with filtering out the remaining dirt. IMO, you don't need FLOC.

Thanks for all the advice. The reason I suspect I will need another dose of floc is because after vacuuming the water is still quite murky. I believe there to be a lot of dissolved dirt that the filter won't catch. In any case I am refilling now and will vaccuumed and filter for a couple days to see if it clears without additional floc. I have also shocked the pool.

I know shocking won't fix dirt but will hold off any growth while I have the pump off letting things settle. Not only that, I have drained so much water my salt is too low to create chlorine. Just going to add CL manually till things are under control.

jonmar said:
I know shocking won't fix dirt but will hold off any growth while I have the pump off letting things settle. Not only that, I have drained so much water my salt is too low to create chlorine. Just going to add CL manually till things are under control.

You are on the right track. You will get through this in fine shape. Next is to figure out how to divert the rain water so you do not have a repeat.

Jonmar, just so you know, I too have a Hayward sand filter, and yes, it really will remove the dirt. Every time you vacuum, you stir up the sediment, so the water will look murky for a while, but then will start to clear again through filtering and settling.

Also, re diverting water...my pool is at the bottom of a three-tiered terrace that's at the foot of a hill that leads into a forest. At one point in time it was actually a storm basin. The builder, who we tracked down (BC it was a foreclosure) had constructed a perimeter French drain around the concrete and topped with stone. The drains tie into another French drain on either side of our house that continue downhill. Not sure what options are available to you with site conditions, but if you have a way to keep the water moving away (as opposed to filtering downward, creating pressure under your liner) that might b a good option. Do you know if when constructed a sump was built under your deep end, and if so, was it tied into you pump system?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vacuumed again today after leaving the pump off all night. Water much clearer although still a little murky. Added some more CL, and have run the pump most of the day. Going to turn it off again and see if any more settles.

Vacuumed some remnants last night and left pump off all night. Nothing new settled. Turned pump back on and hopefully can start adding salt and CYA tonight. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.