5 ml vs. 10 ml vs. 25 ml for the extended test

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
My friend, who owns the TF-100 kit had water go from crystal clear to cloudy to the start of an algae bloom. Perfect chemicals and he brushes at least 2X weekly, almost every 3 days. I stopped by and the pump basket was full of leaves (slowing down some circulation). The pool only operates on one return, skimmer and main drain (return in shallow end). The culprit was the pull out stairs (old pool) where algae was lurking behind. We quickly removed the steps, ladder and leaves.

He started the SLAM, but comes to me for advice. After he started the SLAM, I received a phone call, and with 5 ml of water, he counted 22 drops (OK, his level is 22, but that did not make sense as we only add 2 gallons of 12.5% in a 20K pool to bring up to shock level). He also said that he did the test with 10 ml of water and the count was 26, therefore his level was 13. That sounded pretty accurate. I know that at 25 ml, vs. 10 ml, vs. 5 ml, when I have tested in the past, my levels were almost identical. I took my time with the drops and there was slight variation.

Question: Outside the consistency of the drops, why such a variation? This is a 7-8 ppm difference. What could have happened? I know my 5 ml vs. 10 ml testing is not that far off (maybe by 1 ppm) so I do not put too much emphasis. Even with other friends, who took 3 weeks to clear up a pool based on bad advice and used 5 ml sample did not have this type of margin error, based on liquid chlorine additions. Thanks!

Such a discrepancy is certainly testing error. Make sure he is not rushing the drops, he should let them form naturally and drop off naturally, no faster than about 1-drop per second. It is also important to keep the bottle as vertically straight as possible while dropping.

As mentioned, sample size is important. How is he measuring out the 5ml?

Thanks Dom and Zea:

Just my thoughts as well. Savings reagents is important during a SLAM as I did not know how much he had. The pool cleared up today and the overnight will be performed.

A 25 ml free chlorine test can be performed for less than 4¢. Why be penny wise and pound foolish?

Conserving drops during the initial part of the SLAM is wise. Towards the end, it is always best to use 10 ml, and the overnight test is a must. My friends house actually sold the new home hopefully will have built in steps so this problem does not occur again. These old type of steps are not easy to remove out of the pool and you have to be careful not to damage the liner, just as with a ladder.

Domct:

I do like your avatar. Reminds me of someone I know from Italy! LOL

I am not sure how the 5 ml pool water sample slipped into the FAS/DPD chlorine test but it really is not very helpful. It is too imprecise.

Conversely, the 25 ml sample is unnecessarily precise. We have never needed .2 ppm accuracy in our testing.

What makes sense is 10ml sampling and that is generally the best way to get consistent good results from this test. While the cost per test is higher than 4 cents (maybe around 15-20 cents), I don't think that will break anyone's bank and it will give you the precision that you need

I really believe we are off subject here with how much the per drop cost is. This reminds me of another post where someone mentioned an expensive test kit vs. test strips.

Very simple:

A crystal clear trouble free pool can not have a price tag put on it. In addition, when I went to the pool store to purchase a light bulb for the pool, and saw all those people with water samples (long line), let alone the amount of money they spent in one visit, I wanted to place a sign on the window "Wake up People and smell the chlorine".

Can someone put a price tag on the amount of time wasted, let alone some pretty bad advice. I am not stating that all pool stores are bad, but I would rather avoid them at all costs if I can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.