5 boys and a grain bin...new AGP build DIY

Love the second photo in post # 218, with the audience!

In for the win with that post! LOL

Katie! That is a joy to see! My smile is ear to ear for you and yours!

LOL on the mermaid sisters with NO brothers to bother them!

A zip line?? You have your own zip line?? Well of course you do! You have all of the neat, fun stuff!!! BUT please remind me what you have on the tops of of the metal to keep blood from flowing too much with that gang of boys on a zip line into the pool! OUCH!

The little pool for the little ones.........smart!

So how can we help you with your water? Having trouble or just concerned about something?

:kim:

I'm too beat to get a set of current test results for tonight...

My first question is how much I should be concerned with lowering TA in such a short remaining season. I know it is high...tested around 200 the 2 times I checked it. The pH is slightly high...tested around 7.8 both times. I understand that I can use Muriatic Acid to lower pH, and in doing so may slightly reduce TA. I also know that I can then raise the pH again non-chemically and repeat as needed to force TA down with repeated MA doses. What I don't know is how much it matters since we'll be closing down before long. I've always drained my pools and haven't read up on winterizing yet.

Mostly, I have just been focused on keeping my chlorine up and water clear...still didn't have enough CYA to get a reading this week, so I bought some more to put in the socks in front of returns. I do really hate that black dot test, too. I remember when I first tried a T100 test kit (from the seller of our previous Intex pool) that I liked everything about it EXCEPT the CYA test. I always used the Aqua-Check test strips to test for CYA when starting up our softside pools, then regulated my bleach once I had an acceptable start up level of CYA. But my Aqua-Check strips are 2+ years old now and doubtfully very accurate, and I would like to master the crazy black dot tube. I read various tips about how to stand, looking away between drops, etc. My tube came with the dot not centered on the tube, and my bottle of reagent came with a slight leak. Could either of those things affect my reading it to get a CYA level to show up? On the other hand, I only used 1.5 lbs of stabilizer before yesterday, so I am not actually surprised that it's not showing a reading yet. I'm sure it will get there. At any rate...shall I just keep working on CYA and ignoring TA, or shall I multi-task now?

One other thing I have pondered the past couple weeks is determining if an inexpensive robotic cleaner is more of a need than I thought it would be, or if it is a risk I can't take in my situation. While I have always loved that hour of pool cleaning time by myself and have been able to transfer that responsibility to my middle girl the past couple years, I'm finding it different in an above ground pool with a deep end and no deck. Cleaning that deep side is tricky. One plus is having 2 returns and shutting off whichever one is nearest the area I am vacuuming. But the downside of our set up is that it's hard to reach all the deep area WITH enough hand pressure to be sure it is well brushed and swept. I have weak hands, which makes it very slow going for me, but I'm not sure I trust any of the kids enough to do it as well as I want it done! :) So I have entertained the idea of one of those critters or kreepy things. However, I have read quite a bit of Dennis "shadebuilder"s comments about pin holes in liners from such devices, and I am very wary of using anything that will potentially wear on my already-pretty-thin liner, especially on seams, bolts, etc. Any thoughts or advice about better manual cleaning ideas or less-likely-to-poke-holes auto cleaning tools? I am really glad I went with the plain blue liner...I feel much more confident that I am getting everything vacuumed even in the deep side.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice anyone has. Oh, and thanks for looking at the pics. Maybe I'll put up some of the zip liners later...:)

If you pH is stable don't worry about the TA. The main reason to adjust TA is to minimize pH fluctuation. Just make sure the pH is around 7.5 when you close.

You have a huge pool and if you have only added 1.5lbs of stabilizer, well that's like adding bleach to the pool with an eyedropper. If you set 30ppm as your starting target level, then you need to add about 9 lbs.

Vacuum on high speed, and if the vacuum head feels like it is wanting to float you can add some weight to help hold it down. I find it easier to brush and vacuum while I am in the pool. You really don't need to use a lot of force on a vinyl liner pool when brushing. If you do not have an active algae bloom then brushing just makes sure the water is well mixed. You may want to look into the whale tale pool brush. It is designed so that it pushes down against the pool while brushing. It will give your arms a workout so I would pass that duty to one of the kids!

Congratulations!!! I'm glad to see y'all are already swimming!! It's such an impressive accomplishment. I'm sorry I didn't get to follow your thread as closely as I wanted but I got busy trying to put my own up and pretty forgot the internet existed LOL I FINALLY got mine up today and currently have 2 feet of water in it. It would be full but when we put the wall up I found out the shipped the wrong skimmer so I have to wait for it to arrive before finishing. Hoping for 1 swim this year at least. After seeing how huge yours is it makes me want to see about getting my own grain bin pool. Mine is pretty big but yours is enviously huge! Bet it took a long time to fill. How hard was that expandable liner? Many wrinkles? I *think* I managed to get away without any, but it's not full yet, any things still possible at this point!

That's not a pool... Its a lake! Water skiing anyone. The zip-line is cool. I always wanted one. What a project. If I ever get to build a house in the country i may install a grain bin pool too. Perhaps you'll be available on contract then.

+1 to Kim's comment about the top edge and a zip line. Sorry if I sound like a broken record. Amazing project and I'd be exhausted and stopping work for a while and not thinking about extras! But at least where they come across the edge, try something to make that edge wider. I promise not to mention it again :)

I would give the brushing to the kids and yep, they might miss a spot now and then, but if they rotate they'll all do it different ways and hopefully everything gets covered. I don't know about robots and vinyl, but I know there's different brushes for plaster or vinyl. A suction cleaner is pretty cheap just for sucking the dust up, but doesn't brush. Hayward "The Pool Cleaner" is the most recommended here and around $325 in the States.

zea covered the chemistry, and I think for this season, you can probably just rely on a PoolMath calculation for CYA. I would use fresh water with 0 CYA, plus calculated amount of stabilizer for 50 ppm CYA. The testing will come together for you fairly soon, but the calculated amount will be reliable for a month maybe, until there's lots of splashout/overflow/backwash.

If it were mine, I would use MA to correct pH to 7.5 each time, let it drift to just over 7.8, then back to 7.5, and not worry about TA for this year.

It seems you've added new terminology to TFP's world... "Grain bin pool" and I love your name - the Metal-terranean Sea :)

YippeeSkippy...we have played Marco Polo in hotel and camp pools all across the USA...I laughed at your line...thanks for the giggle!

Kellyfair...that audience came to watch the baptism of my 15yo "tornado daughter" (who duct-taped all the bolts in the pool this summer). She had planned to be baptized at her church but changed her mind when we finally got this thing built. Did you spot the man on the roof? That was my hubby FINALLY seeing the pool (it was his birthday, too) and climbing out the upstairs window to take pics for our friend. :)

Cowboy Casey and WASP...boats and water-skiing are my love language! Bring it on! I spent every Sunday of my youth on a good slalom ski on the lake...but having a pool is sure closer. :)

Dalf1990...so happy for you to be getting water now, because I had just wondered about you yesterday. I do have some wrinkles, mostly where my deep side curves into the the edges of the shallow side...but I'm okay with it just because I am finally DONE with the long delays and SWIMMING! Good luck!!!

Zea3...thanks for the fast response about TA. Yes, I always vacuum from inside the pool...otherwise it would be a chore instead of sanity time. :) It's just a big reach from the shallow across the deep, and the farther I extend the pole, the less leverage I feel. I can do it treading water, but then I stir it up too much. :) I'm adding more stabilizer (also, I failed to mention I've been purposely using granular shock and pucks to assist in adding CYA).

Kim and Needsajet...I am always glad to have your voices chime in on safety. Please don't feel any need to hold back...you have both been incredibly valuable to this project, and I am indebted to you! As the mom, I definitely get antsy about safety with the shenanigans that goes on with a crowd of healthy kids. I already took Needs' suggestion last week and tracked down 25 noodles for the edge! If it is any consolation, I have tested and re-tested the layers of "coping" I had on the top, and while I definitely think it would cause a bruise or a break to fall out of the sky onto one, I do not think it there's any cutting that's going to happen. I like what you said about wider, though. When we "noodled" the springs on our trampoline, we came across super-size noodles to alternate with the normal sized ones, thus making the empty spaces smaller. I think I could used my 2 leftover "giant" noodles under the zipline's path and take some extra measure of peace in that. I've been hunting all over creation just to find all the noodles in the same color, but 2 in a different size would be way worth it until I get something better. Meanwhile, I've been corresponding with my carpentry-skilled "pseudo-son" about options for building a wide-enough-to-be-handy composite ledge over the top when we do the future deck. Open to any and all suggestions on that.

And on the zipping note, here are some pics--

The fun uncle test-driving the zip line before the kids could go:
Zip 1 the hero's test drive.jpg

Big sister went up with little sister for her debut turn, having previously been only allowed on the lower line (which doesn't go to the pool). My primary contributions to safety are insisting on dry hands, taught arms, a "supervisor" who checks that the track and cable are smooth, and that the trampoline must always be placed beneath the platform so that any flyer who gets nervous or feels weak on take-off may simply drop below.
Zip 2 lift off.jpg

Little sister flying high:
Zip 3 on the high wire.jpg

Big sister coming in for a landing:
Zip 4 happy landings.jpg

Dad finally arrives for a swim on the 2-week birthday of the liner install:
Zip 5 dad arrives.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ha! I totally missed hubby on the roof! (I shall now have the soundtrack from Fiddler on the Roof playing in my head)

I would totally go with multicolor noodles. Makes things more festive!

Water question--

Had to be out of town away from the pool for a week. It had been pristine, temps dropped dramatically and got cloudier, so when the weather got warmer than I expected while we were away, my vacation calculations didn't hold up, chlorine fell below target, and found large patches of green on floor when we returned Sunday morning. I immediately hit it with shock level of bleach and had my family keep it up there for 36 hours while I had to be away longer. Got home yesterday afternoon and vacuumed and brushed...stuff on floor still looked greenish to me, but came up pretty easily. Water very clear, end result looked pretty good. Not sparkly as when I was swimming daily...but much better than I ever would have expected after discovering it green on Sunday morning. Did the overnight test, but came up losing 2 ppm. I have never SLAMmed before, but I expected it to be a longer, slower process. The wrinkle is this, we have to leave town again in a few hours for 2.5 more days. Today is full sun and upper 80's, then partly cloudy and possible rain following that in the forecast. Would my best bet be to leave it up well above shock level and just hope for the best? I am already above shock level (got it higher than needed yesterday in part because we accidentally used a gallon of 12% along with the regular 8% bleach we were using...the bottles were too similar and I didn't double-check when my kids brought it to me in the pool, and in part because my CYA test was off, I think? I had read it at 35, but this morning I double-checked in different light and got 25...I second-guess myself on that test every time). I don't have anyone I trust to do the chlorine drop test while I'm gone, but I could send some college kids over to dump in some extra bleach a few times. I could also put a bunch of pucks in homemade dispensers and take advantage of the gradual CYA increase. Other suggestions? Here are my numbers:

CYA: 25-35 (have tried in all kinds of light)
pH: 7.5
TA: 190
FC: 16.5
CC: 1.5
TC: 18

Thanks!!

I would bring up to shock level based on your CYA. Assume it's 40 and bring/keep the FC up to 16 ppm using bleach. Since you're still SLAMing and the pump is running 24/7 and your CYA would stlll be fine at 50 ppm, you can also add some pucks to the pool to try to keep that FC up there while you're gone. Do you have a solar cover for the pool? That will help reduce FC losses while you're gone as well.

I so enjoyed following along and watching as this magnificent pool was constructed. So have you opened it or is it still too soon?

We've moved from our house with the 18' round pool and have yet to get one for this house. :( It will happen... I've gotten wonderful tips here and enjoyed seeing how clever everyone is whether it's building a pool or what they use to keep it pristine. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.