Pressure Test

Rob

May 23, 2007
Ok, I've heard a number of people here talk about pressure testing their lines.

How exactly do you do it? I can make some guesses, but I'd rather learn from other people :)

We have the skimmer basket dug out and about to replace it, would be nice to test everything first before it all goes back in.

I've never done it myself, but my understanding of the process is you plug one end of the pipe and at the other end install a temporary elbow with a 10' vertical section of pipe. Pour water in to the top of the 10' section and leave it for some length of time- not sure how long code requires. If you're just doing it yourself I'd say leave it for an hour or 2. The longer the better. Check the level and if it hasn't dropped then you're good to go!

That is a good test, we use that method to test underground plumbing all the time. There is another way that involves air too, you use test balls to block the ends, and they make test balls that will accept iron pipe threads through them, you would put a nipple, valve, and air hose adapter on it, and pump it up to say 3 pounds. We test sewer main at 5, which is a crazy pressure if you have ever had a 12" test ball blow out of a 350' run of pipe and hit your legs 25' down in a manhole. I would opt for the stack test with the riser pipe and water though for you, plug the other end with a test ball.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.