Hello from California

Aug 6, 2012
Sacramento
Have a built in Viking Pool going on 6 years now Fiberglass pool and spa. Joined to learn more about pool chemistry since problems are now surfacing having to do with algae and phosphates. Some spots showing up on fiberglass and dealing with ugly grout and tile buildup. So lots to work on.

Would like to hear from anyone who owns a Viking Salt Pool/spa and how they deal with issues.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

If you post a set of test results for us, we can probably help you determine what your next course of action should be. Please include FC, CC, TA, pH, CYA, CH, and salt level.

thanks for the two replies. Will get the report numbers soon. The pool company did sell us Phos Free etc now brushing sides three times a week and vacuuming same but may need to do more since we live by a major river and walnut grove, which comes with all the bugs and critters you might expect.

Bees wasps earth worms rats birds have all been found in the pool or in the skimmer basket at one time or another or at the bottom of the pool (mostly dead bees and worms and leaves).

This pool and spa was easy living for the first 5 years and now it's not. Will show pictures of the tile and grout later. Also the spa and pool run independantly of one another and the spa has been having algae issues while the pool has been having the high phos levels.

Finally, will spend some time in Pool School because it seems to contradict everything the local pool supply company is telling us about our water.

I don't own a Viking brand pool, but a fiberglass pool by another company. I like to read posts by fiberglass owners as we seem to be a minority around TFP. We particularly chose a fiberglass pool as I had read that algae has a harder time taking hold with the smooth slick walls. Good luck with your pool and I'll be looking for your posts. I'd love to see pictures.

vikingfiberglass said:
Will get the report numbers soon.
Let us know when you get them.

vikingfiberglass said:
This pool and spa was easy living for the first 5 years and now it's not. Will show pictures of the tile and grout later. Also the spa and pool run independantly of one another and the spa has been having algae issues while the pool has been having the high phos levels.
Yours is a classic story on this board..."What I was doing worked great for years, then what I was doing didn't work anymore".

vikingfiberglass said:
Finally, will spend some time in Pool School because it seems to contradict everything the local pool supply company is telling us about our water.
Probably the biggest contradiction is the chlorine/cya relationship that the pool industry has largely ignored (and maybe in some cases suppressed).

Hello and Welcome.....Do yourself a huge favor and forget anything anyone at the pool store has told you in the past, read pool school thoroughly (a few times) post accurate test results(TF100 Rocks), ask questions (anything) and follow the advice of these folks here and you will have an awesome pool with no issues and if by chance you have a problem it will be easily fixed with the help of TFP....Haven't step foot in a pool store in months :)

Sounds great.. thanks so much. Trying Scale Remover on the tile right now.. tried Acid Magic but no discernable results yet likely due to higher water level on the tile presently. Getting algae along the upper edges of the deep end that brush off easily. Trying to keep the bees and other things out of the water. Pictures coming later this evening PST. Also to YippySkippy, it's nice to see another fiberglass pool owner here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I understand.. just reminds me how money I have wasted at the pool store is all.. now trying to decide between the entire test kit or two separate test kits in addition to the one I currently have. Going back to scrubbing the tile once the sun goes down here. It's so hot.