Is it better to have early sun or late sun???

Aug 3, 2012
My husband are deciding where we'd like to place a pool and know we want a lot of sun. However, one side of the yard is bathed in sun from about 8a.m. until 3:30-4:00 and then gets shady. The other side of the yard doesn't get sun until about 10a.m. but is then is the sun until 6p.m. I think early sun would be better but the hubby wants late :? Any recommendations?

Early sun for me - but that is mostly because my family is very fair skinned and my mom has had skin cancer removed from the tip of her nose -- so I love getting to send my kids out to swim in the shade in late afternoon.

It really depends on when you like to swim and how much sun you like (and where you're located!) My pool pretty much has some shade at all times of day, which I really like on brutally hot days. But I also need to use a heater to boost temp a lot of the time.

I'd likely side with you h, only because if you can get home from work early enough, there's a chance you'd still have a little sun on the water, even when it starts to get cooler. 8 am sun is not as powerful as 10 am sun in terms of warming the water, btw. If you're the type to swim when you get up (which I do) the sun really doesn't matter at 6 or 7 am ;)

Part of the decision will also depend on where you're located.

I would welcome a little shade about 4:00 pm.
In my situation, I'd choose the morning sun as that would start warming the pool earlier and it doesn't really start cooling till after dark anyway. The sun is brutal here in the afternoons and it's not comfortable to get in until after 6 or 7 pm.

In Charlotte NC my neighbor has an AGP that gets mid morning sun - mid afternoon sun. Our kids and I have used the pool for years and enjoyed the fact that no sunscreen is needed after about 3:30pm. This is a JOY and pleasure.

My new pool (father-in-laws) has late morning - Late afternoon sun. The sun stops hitting the pool about 5-5:30pm in this location this time of year. The kids often want to swim without sun screen when they need it - it is more of a battle than it sounds.

I think it really isn't going to matter that much. Which location is more pleasing to the eye? Which will have fewer leaves, less runoff, easier site prep?

I would set it where you get morning sun. But, I am in Sacramento where it gets over 100F frequently. My pool gets full sun from 10 until about 2:00, is in various degrees of shade from 2:00-4:00 and full shade from 4:00 on. When it's near 100, I wait until 4:00 or until there is some place to shade my head while in the pool. I am getting an umbrella for next year to give my pool shade earlier in the day. I like the shady pool when I get home from work.

The kids don't care, they will play in the full sun.

Reactions: CeceliaC
Thanks for all the AWESOME responses!!! We're on eastern Long Island in NY so summers get hot. 2:00-4:00 is probably the hottest so I'm thinking a little shade may be nice. We both have the WONDERFUL fortune of being off in the summer so I figure we'll be out there all times of the day & woudl like sun early :lol: When it comes down to it, placement may be decided by various building permits anyway, which would actully be a relief...heehee. Will definitely show the hubby all the responses when making the final decisin. Thanks again all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.