new to pool life

I ordered the 16 ounce bottle this year, but am not sure how long it will last. I am hoping it stays fresh for a while. Since you are shocking, you probably could buy the 16 ounce, and might not have to worry about it getting old. Or you could buy the 2 ounce bottle.

I ordered the 2 ounce bottle i didnt see a bigger one on that site. If need be i can order the large one . There isnt much more swimming season left here in michigan maybe 4 weeks and well close. I didnt no if it would be good next season? Today when i brushed the bottom it was much less on bottom and looked darker color when i brushed i could see it plume up and then i could more of the color.
Because i dont have much of the r 8071 i dont no if i dare to check til tonight so silly question
Obviously i test at night fall calculate how much to add add it then do i test to besure of level amount ?? Becuz that is what i did and i dont think i have enough stuff at 45 or more drops each time then to do the same in am id test to see level add chlorine then re test? I am gonna need a gallon of this lolol

I ordered my 16 ounce bottle from Amato industries, since TF Test kits doesn't sell it. It should be good next year, but I don;t know about after that. And if you are needing 45 drops each time, 2 ounces will probably be gone fast. I believe there is also an 8 ounce bottle, but don;t know who sells that.

On Amazon, it is also sold by Amato Industries. However, it is cheaper on their own website (amatoind.com). Their shipping is fast. I ordered Friday, and it came Wednesday. Granted, they are in Maryland and I am in NJ, so it is not that far. I'm not sure where you live, so shipping could be faster or slower.

tested chlorine and here is the reading

fc 20.5
cc 0
ph 7.6

I brushed the pool 2 times today not much collecting on bottom any more :-D water is looking better from the surface not sure what it looks from under neath as I havent been in the pool. Would like to swim is it safe at 24 fc? I would think you would just feel a little dryed out?
Could maybe my ph level be masked by the algae? because I have added nothing and it is increasing. Or does it increase with adding chlorine this much? confused.

I added 1 gallon 6 percent bleach to bring it up to 25 from the 20.5 I shut off my chlorine feeder and Ill retest in the morning.. Should I be testing this after Im adding the bleach to see what level im truley at or can I just trust the calculator that adding that much takes me there? I am waiting for more regant and dont want to halt this process.
btw thank you all so much! with the help and the tools on here I dont think ill ever step into a pool store testing center agin! I wish i would of asked about 4 weeks ago.. when the guy kept telling me he didnt no y it was cloudy just add 2 bags of shock.. then hed say ohh lets floc it... i said no way im not flocing it

Safe to swim if you FC is > the minimum and < than the shock value for your CYA in the Pool School chart. And the water is clear to the bottom, and your CC is not more than 0.5 and your pH is in range.

Your pH is suspect because the test is not valid when the FC > 10ppm. (reads false high with high FC)

You CYA was 60-70ppm right? I hope you are not still using pucks in the chlorine feeder because your CYA is already on the high side

Safe to swim if you FC is > the minimum and < than the shock value for your CYA in the Pool School chart. And the water is clear to the bottom, and your CC is not more than 0.5 and your pH is in range.

chart says ..
60 cya
5 min
7 target
24 shock
so if it is less that the 24 it is safe based on my cya level then? It is clear to the bottom it is the best it has looked in a few weeks. We swam during all the cloudy alage oh to think shudder.

Your pH is suspect because the test is not valid when the FC > 10ppm. (reads false high with high FC)
ok good to know.

You CYA was 60-70ppm right? I hope you are not still using pucks in the chlorine feeder because your CYA is already on the high side
well I have a chlrine feeder that uses bac pacs. that are tablets in a enclosed container that have triclor small tablets in it. I shut it off at night and test in am then turned it back on. Thats all ive used all summer and I am only to 60 will it really raise it that much more? what would I use instead? and how would I use them.? I wonder if I can refill the cartridges with a differnt type of chorine?

You can not use the cartridge with different chlorine.

Ideally, you should switch to adding liquid chlorine / bleach daily and stop using the tablets.

Where are you located? Do you drain your pool in the winter?
If you have a short season and replace a lot of water each year, you may be able to get away with using the tablets.

You can not use the cartridge with different chlorine.Ok

Ideally, you should switch to adding liquid chlorine / bleach daily and stop using the tablets.Is that what all of you do now? no chlorine in floaters? or pucks in basket? Just add chlroine everyday? hmm interseting

Where are you located? Do you drain your pool in the winter? I am located in Michigan. Our pool season is quite short. We drain out about 20 inches of water and winterize and cover refill the amount gone thus would be diluting some?
If you have a short season and replace a lot of water each year, you may be able to get away with using the tablets.Well I have the cartridge that is being used and then one more to use for this season. When it runs out I will not buy anymore. they cost me 20 bucks a pop and last maybe 2 to 3 weeks tops. I have 120 dollars in those this year I just like how if we go away I can be assured it is suppling chemicals. Is there a spot u can direct me to about doing your pool with out using tablets or pucks?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This whole site is almost about not using tablets ... the first B in BBB ;)

Really the site is about understanding the chemistry and only adding what your pool needs. Thus the use of bleach, it ONLY adds chlorine and not stabilizer or calcium.

Start by reading Pool School of you have not already.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

You can save the trichlor that you use in the feeder, it'll last a long while if kept dry. Then you CAN go on vacation and use the feeder. When you're only using bleach normally, there should be room in your CYA level (splashout can reduce CYA a little) to use pucks/trichlor packs once in a while when needed.

Yes, we do add bleach every day. It's really not so bad, and I enjoy the whole 2 minutes it takes to do it every night. Bleach and a pool light is way cool :~} (Actually I used to add it every day, before 4w ago. I miss it now with the SWG and may very well go back to it next year)

so then you use the test kit testing chlorine every evening? and add.. so I will need a giant bottle of titrant next year for sure. i dont mind checking the chemicals. and adding if I know what I am doing :-D
what I have learned so far.
You must know your cya in order to know what you need your chlorine levels at to avoid a algae out break.
I can use bleach from store
my ph is high becuz my chlorine is at shock level
Brush the pool when dealing with algae.
a good test kit is worth a million bucks
This forum has helped me more than pool store guy.

I will re read the bbb area again,

Once you learn the pool's routine chlorine patterns you can test less frequently. If you change bleach suppliers or the weather shifts or you have more swimmers you may need to step up the testing frequency.

Fc 19.5 this morning
Cc .5
I shocked last night to get to 25
I didnt test it after to see but with the pool calculator i added what they said to so i am losing it still
Way less stuff settling on bottom
Was a big circle of it in center when i started now not near as much
I find small spots arounnd edges too
I brush it up a few times a day
I hope im killing it off
Water looks clear from above
I order more of r 0871 yest morn it shipped hope it is hear tom then i can test a little more frequent

Just checked pool after adding more chlorine this am and it fell to
fc 22
I have my chlorine feeder turned off.

Water is looking so much better I brushed bottom spots twice today only small areas accumilating.
spots are like dime size. I can see them clearly from the top!

I think the 12.5% I buy at pool store maybe price equivalant to my meijers in clorax

It cost me 3.99 for 96 oz 12.5 percent
3.50 for 174 oz 6 percent
anybody good at figuring it out?

carolvk12 said:
Just checked pool after adding more chlorine this am and it fell to
fc 22
I have my chlorine feeder turned off.

Water is looking so much better I brushed bottom spots twice today only small areas accumilating.
spots are like dime size. I can see them clearly from the top!

Congrats!

carolvk12 said:
I think the 12.5% I buy at pool store maybe price equivalant to my meijers in clorax

It cost me 3.99 for 96 oz 12.5 percent
3.50 for 174 oz 6 percent
anybody good at figuring it out?

created-spreadsheet-calculator-cost-bleach-requirements-t51163.html?hilit=chlorine spreadsheet

96oz of 12.5% @ $3.99 is equivalent to 182oz of 6% @ $3.58
174oz of 6% @ $3.50 is equivalent to 182oz of 6% @ $3.60

Which one is closer? The gas will likely be the difference.

96oz of 12.5% @ $3.99 is equivalent to 182oz of 6% @ $3.58
174oz of 6% @ $3.50 is equivalent to 182oz of 6% @ $3.60

Which one is closer? The gas will likely be the difference.
Well that pretty much is the cost around here It is only like a 3 miles to one store 2 to another ect. I guess who ever has it, I bought out all the one store had on there shelf and that was only 4 jugs lol when I was at store I calculated it was .02 cents a ounce
Now i have had my solar cover on during this (before I started this high level shocking) I hope that there isnt any algae on that. Should I shock tonight and cover it so it gets zapped with the chlorine? I dont think I had mustard algae when I read on here. It was never on the walls. and it wasnt only in the shady spot. who knows maybe all my pool toys need a bath

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.