Initial Readings

Jul 27, 2012
New to the forum; posted my introduction in that section but I wanted to go ahead and get started...

Okay, I've ordered my test kit but I have some new Walmart Test Strips and wanted to go ahead and post those readings so I can at least get started....

My above ground pool is 5 years old, I have never had any trouble until this season and I can not get rid of green algae sediment on the bottom of my pool, no matter how many times I vacuum to waste, if I just vacum it to my filter it blows back out the jet and then causes an algae bloom, this has happened over and over this summer :( I have used bagged shock, bleach, lots of chlorine, it clears up everytime and then the algae sediment comes back and I start all over...

I dumped in six bottle of bleach last night so my free chlorine levels are going to be high but here are my readings today...

TH - 1000
Free Chlorine - 5
PH - 8.4
TA - 120
CYA - 100

Any and all help is appreciated...

Well now when I say it's blowing stuff back out I'm just assuming, I don't actually see it blowing back out; it's that we vacuum it all back up and by the next 24 hours the green sediment has returned...my filter is a sand filter and I changed the sand this year...

Received TF 100; Here we go...

Received my TF 100 today. Just to recap...my pool has had algae, bloom after algae bloom all summer, as soon as I get it somewhat cleared and start vacumming the remaining algae off the bottom I start the whole process over again...so here are my numbers...

FC - 0
CC - can't calculate
pH - >7.8 and <8.2 (the color is between these two numbers)
TA - 100
CA - 370
CYA - 45

I am totally shocked about my CYA, I just knew that it was going to be 100+; after all the articles and posts I have read on this site I was convinced that my CYA was binding up all my chlorine but I guess not...I am also shocked about my FC being 0, I have been shocking and bleaching and adding numerous pucks for weeks...but any how I'm ready for your advice on what to do. FYI - I will be switching to the BBB method...

Thank you guys so much! I've printed the article and I'm off and running...

My numbers this morning were...
FC 19
CC 0.5
pH 7.5

I think I'm on my way to correction...and to the store to get some more bleach for this evenings recheck :party:

Pucks in the skimmer is not really the best idea. Since you will only be gone a few days, simply elevate your FC using bleach to allow for your absence....probably bringing the FC up to around 12-14ppm will do just fine.

A longer absence will require the pucks.

Update on the status of my water...

Today we returned home from our weekend trip, prior to leaving I elevated the FC level to 20, today my water was mostly clear with green sediment covering the bottom. We vacuumed the sediment off the bottom, backwashed the filter, and drained out the nastiest, green, foam I have ever seen. Post vacuuming the water was a little cloudy...

Today's numbers were...

FC 4.5
CC 0.0
pH 7.5
TA 90
CYA 40

I elevated the pool back to shock level of 15 and went ahead and added a little baking soda to raise the TA back to 100, will recheck pH tomorrow. This evening the water was very clear, not quite crystal but getting close :whoot: , but had a new batch of green sediment on the bottom, so I brushed that back up. I'm planning on doing the overnight chlorine test tomorrow night to see if I pass that...As long as I keep getting the green sediment on the bottom should I continue to keep the chlorine at shock level? Anything else I should be doing? Thanks again for all your help, I will post pics soon too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:party: Just wanted to post in and tell you all thank you so much for your help! 2 weeks ago my pool was a green swampy mess, today it is crystal-sparkling clear. It's so clear then when under water you can see a grain of sand on the other side of the pool. You all are amazing and your help is appreciated! Bleach for me from here on out...

Attachments

• pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    466.6 KB · Views: 18
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.