Yes, another cleaner suggestion thread...

Jul 18, 2012
Upstate, SC
Hello everyone. I did search and I found almost too much information! I wanted to keep this as quick and easy as possible since my friends and neighbors all have different suggestions as well.

Pool info is in my sig line. It is a big rectangle with 2ft radius corners, 3ft shallows on both ends with a 6ft deep center section, slopes gradually from both sides. Brand new pool so not sure what we will deal with in the fall (we do have some 100ft white oaks around 80ft+ from the pool), right now we are just dealing with a lot of fine red clay silt that settles to the bottom and the random leaf, flower or bug.

I tried a Barracuda G2 based off a lot of great feedback online. Loved the one moving part idea. Price was right. Just doesnt work well in my pool. First off the hose was way too short. I attached my pole vac hose to the original hose and it still doesnt get the corners. If might get along the edge of one or two corners but the rest is still a mess. That is where most of my silt collects. I have tried aiming my two returns but that does little to no good. I will say that where it cleaned the pool it did a great job. I ran it for 5+ hrs once and it still didnt clean the whole pool. I really dont want my pump running that high for that long if I can avoid it!

So - what else should I look at? Would like to keep it under $500. I do not have a booster pump obviously. If it is a suction side cleaner, I need to use one skimmer and block off my other (at least with the G2 I did). Are there any suction side cleaners that allow the use of the other skimmer so it is also working? Would be nice to have to not go out and disconnect the cleaner and re-open the other skimmer so those work (we get a lot of bugs and floating small flowers to skim off).

If I go pressure side I know there are limited models that work without booster pumps. I assume my skimmers will work just fine with those.

Here is what I have considered -
Suction -
The Pool Cleaner (any big difference in 2 wheel vs. 4 wheel?)
Hayward Navigator XL
Barracuda MX8

Pressure -
Polaris 360
Pentair Legend II

On all of them it seems like it is pretty normal to have to replace $100 in parts yearly. Is that really the case? I hate to spend $500 and then another $100+ a yr to keep it working. I am in SC so we have a little longer pool season but not year round. Right now it takes me about an hour to do a good cleaning with the pole vac and I still miss spots. Its also a big workout and not fun in this 100* heat!

Thanks for any feedback/help.

Just an update. I bought the 360! I had to get an extra hose extension as it would not reach the far corner. Why are those plastic hoses so expensive for these things?! Even the G2 hose was $$. Any way, so far we like it. Does a better job than the G2, picked up a lot of stuff in the bag that I never saw in the pool and seems to get good coverage. Still messing with pump speed and that little jet on the back. It barely wants to climb the angled pool bottom leading into the vertical wall let alone the wall itself. It does eventually get up most of the angle, but not all of it. I am also going to look into the fine silt bag since that is the majority of what I deal with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.