Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flow Indicator/Meter materials

1. Back To Top    #1

Flow Indicator/Meter materials

As I am searching for a flow indicator/meter, I have come across a few meters which use 316 stainless steel ball bobbin. How does 316 stainless steel react to pool chemicals?

Anyone have names for manufacturer whom make flow meters/indicators which will work with the pool chemicals and can be sited outdoors?
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    For almost 8 months, I worked on a chlorine device for pools (that I could never get to work well enough to market). In so doing, I tried to work with 316 stainless and 316 teflon coated stainless.

Chlorine will VERY rapidly corrode those items @ 10% strength.

How well it would hold up at 3ppm is certainly a whole different animal but I would think that might work pretty well given the performance of ladders, etc. found in everyday pools.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you tested any which are made out of PVC, PE and other plastics?

Blue-White seems to have a number of flow meters. I know many semiconductor companies but they are high price and for an ultra pure environment. Some have lower cost PVC (and other plastics) with 316L stainless steel ball bobbin.
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

4. Back To Top    #4
    A number of people here are using the Blue and White 300 series flow meters without problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School