FC 6-11, Which one?

H969

Jul 8, 2012
Okay so I passed my OCLT sometime last week and I have been watching my FC level going down from a shock of FC 31 to today of FC 9, Pool Calculator says it be FC 6-11, should I try for the FC 6 or 11? or maybe try to hold at the middle @ FC 9?
What do you guy's suggest? :?:

Well, if 6 if the minimum for your CYA level, then you never want to go below that. So, you can try dosing up to maybe 9 or 10 in the evenings. See where you are the next evening.

It depends on how much FC your pool uses daily and you want to add enough to keep it above the minimum between dosing. After a while, you will see the daily FC usage trend in your pool.

I've always dosed at night to the high target, assumed the water will hold FC in the dark and let it go the next day. Losing 2-3ppm always leaves me above minimum after the day is done. Add bleach to high target after dark... rinse and repeat. Maintaining a number in the middle is not exactly doable unless you're going to test and dose halfway through the day, every day.

Another $0.02...

I dose at the high end of the range for my CYA level from mid-late June through August. This is when water temperatures peak for me (at around 90 degrees) and when bather load is at its highest. Water temperatures tend to drop off by around 10 degrees between the last weekend of August and Labor Day. Then I dose in the middle of the target range. By early November the water temps are usually in the mid-upper 60's. This is also around the time that the last man standing (me) finally calls it a season and gets out of the pool until spring. I then begin dosing at the low end of the target range and continue that throughout the winter.

These seasonal adjustments within my target range provide a balance between always having adequate sanitation and product usage.

By now you probably know how much your FC drops during a normal day. It does change based on your CYA and all sorts of environmental conditions but if you have been keeping records of your testing you probably have a feel for it. You want to add that much, to cover one day's normal decline, plus a bit extra, in case of something not normal. Maybe a lot of swimmers, or a ton of rain and leaves, or a dead mouse in the pool overnight, whatever. Just be comfortable that by the time you re-test and add more chlorine, that the pool is STILL above the min FC.

BoDarville said:
Another $0.02...

I dose at the high end of the range for my CYA level from mid-late June through August. This is when water temperatures peak for me (at around 90 degrees) and when bather load is at its highest. Water temperatures tend to drop off by around 10 degrees between the last weekend of August and Labor Day. Then I dose in the middle of the target range. By early November the water temps are usually in the mid-upper 60's. This is also around the time that the last man standing (me) finally calls it a season and gets out of the pool until spring. I then begin dosing at the low end of the target range and continue that throughout the winter.

These seasonal adjustments within my target range provide a balance between always having adequate sanitation and product usage.
:wink: And a great $0.02 it is.... :goodjob:

anonapersona said:
By now you probably know how much your FC drops during a normal day. It does change based on your CYA and all sorts of environmental conditions but if you have been keeping records of your testing you probably have a feel for it. You want to add that much, to cover one day's normal decline, plus a bit extra, in case of something not normal. Maybe a lot of swimmers, or a ton of rain and leaves, or a dead mouse in the pool overnight, whatever. Just be comfortable that by the time you re-test and add more chlorine, that the pool is STILL above the min FC.
Thank you very much :-D :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.