Jandy problem

sharky

Jul 23, 2012
Hi folks,
I'm the new guy. My issue is with Jandy valves. I just switched pool maintenance companies, which came with some start up blues from the lack of familiarity with my equipment. And after things finally stabilized, I found that I was having problems with my Jandy valves not moving to an appropriate position causing my jacuzzi to overflow all over the lawn.
Of my two Jandys, one seems to be working fine but the smaller one, Jandy 2444, seems to get stuck. And when it is in the stuck position, the 1-0-2 switch underneath does not respond at all. The other jandy works perfectly, changing position every time I flick the switch to the opposing position. Does this indicate that my Jandy valve needs replacement or can it be the panel or something else?
The problem is a bit confusing because when I push "spa mode" on the inside of my home panel, everything would switch properly but my small 4-button panel on the Jacuzzi would not respond. Then if the Jacuzzi were on when the timer caused the main pool filter to shut down for the evening, the following morning would find the jandy stuck and cause the jacuzzi to overflow. I fixed it once and got it to work fine but last night the same thing happened with the evening shut off and the Jandy is just plain unresponsive (while the other one works just fine). Thanks for any help. Sharky

I suspect that there is nothing wrong with the Jandy Valve. That 4 button Spa Side Switch can fail causing things to randomly occur.

It may be that the spa side switch is overriding your directions. You can test this by getting the Aqualink to ignore the spa side switch. See your owners manual for how to do this on the panel. If all is well when the spa side switch is ignored, you need to replace that.

We were mystified when the spa and pool lights would come on in the middle of the night. I was sort of casually investigating that when the Polaris booster pump began to fail. I guess that it was related to the unit switching to Spa mode when the cleaner was running, but not really sure.

We have not yet replaced that spa side switch, but have found them online for $175-ish, depending on the length of line attached. It is on the list of stuff to do, just not right at the top. Will get it done by winter, for sure.

Thanks for the advice. I do believe I have two problems, and that you helped me with the spa side. But, I'm still wondering why one of my Jandys works perfectly when the other refuses to switch over. Even if the spa side switch is bad, it seems my two jandys are behaving differently - one works when switched the other doesn't. If one is somehow broken, or gears stripped, etc. I'd like to replace it ASAP - and take out one more issue from the list of troubleshooting variables.
thanks again for your help, Sharky

Thanks Dave. I just went out and disassembled it all and put it back together in a way that shuts off the spa and turns it all back to the pool. Now its working just fine in pool mode - then, I hit the switch underneath to the opposite position and the bad Jandy turned just fine to the spa position. However, when I tried to turn it back to the correct position, it would not budge. So, out of frustration, I just ordered a new actuator (only, as you suggested). But then I went back to manually reposition to the pool ops, and accidentally tugged on the red wire on the left side and the actuator started to turn. It continued to turn as long as I wiggled that wire (not just hold in the up position, but up and slightly side to side), until it went back to the correct position (and while doing this it makes a grating sound). Anyway, it seems pretty certain to me that it is the actuator, so I am glad I ordered it and will report back. thanks all for all the help, sharky

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.