new pool owner - help/advice with my readings please

pinstripepat said:
Thanks....

As of my readings tonight I have my CYA up to 70, yeah! My FC however has risen to 9 which is the highest it has ever been.
Is that because I finally have CYA protecting it and if that is the case should I now dial back the SWG from 95% which is where it has been.

Also, is FC of 9 safe for family to swim?

The pool calculator said SWG FC Target of 3, but said normal 5 to 10. So again, am I ok at 9. Sorry for the questions, guess i just don't know how to read the calculator yet and don't want to harm anyone swimming.

thanks all.....

PS....My CH went down to 425....by the way....hmmmm

We opened our new pool in Aug 2010, and I had no previous pool experience. With my CYA in the 50-60 range I needed to run my SWG at 45% to maintain my target FC level. Once I upped the CYA to the 70-80 range, I was able to dial back my SWG to 25-30% to maintain the same FC level.

Underwtaer,

Thanks for the info. I checked this AM before I left for work and my morning FC was 7.5, so it looks like I lost about 1.5 overnight.

What I still don't get is I still have these bugs, the "boatmen" or "backswimmers" as they call them. From my understanding if my chlorine was good then there would be no algae for the bugs to eat. I normally wouldn not be as obsessed with this but those little suckers bite and bite hard! My FC is good now, my CYA is good now at 70, my pH is good at 7.5, my water looks great, how are these bugs surviving and swimming around?

Do I just have to deal with the fact that i need to add algacide (like BioGaurd)? I would love to know why these bugs are not gone.

Thanks,

Those Boatman and Backswimmer bugs don't care about Chlorine levels. I had a few Backswimmers at a shock level in the 20's. You just have to catch em and kill em. I always wondered how they got in the pool until I learned that they can also fly.

Underwater,

thanks I was looking at that product as well. I used Biogaurd Back-Up and it worked wonderfully, but it foamed. So I found that Biogaurd makes an "all 60" product that is non foaming for pools with attached spas and waterfeatures. I purchased it, however, i have just been trying to eliminate them by balancing my water. now that I am 95% there other than my hardness (425), I am curious why they were still there. I hate to use the algicide but may have to. I have been catching and killing everyday, 3-4 a day.

Both the boatmen which are about 3/8" long and 1/8 wide and are white-ish and grey, streamlined body. Then the larger bugs, the backswimmers have two noticable eyes, same streamlined oval shaped body as boatmen but about 1/2" long and 3/16" wide, they are just bigger than the boatmen.

Question....I had some beginnings of green algae on my tanning ledge, it is about 6" of water. I am confused because my FC is 7 and my CYA is 70, my water looks great, how did it grow there. Could it be because the shallow water and the fact that it has been over 100 for the last week and will be for the next week? Also, I have not run my bubbler on that ledge, should I run it for circulation on the ledge to keep the water moving? My bubbler is a manual valve but if i leave it open it will come on when the pump comes on at 10 AM everyday.
Also, i was going to bleach shock tonight because of that algae. I scrubbed it away yesterday, but thought I better shock....pool calculator said 8 jugs (96 oz) at the 6% sodium hypochlorite for my size pool to raise FC to 28. Does this sound right to everyone?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.