Hayward C1200 Stripped Locking Knob/Rod

Sprocket

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
Central Florida
Went out to clean my C1200 cartridge filter this morning and can't open it. I can turn the knob about 8 turns before I get a loud click/thump and no more progress. I can tell something is stripped. I tried tightening it up and loosening it but at the same point I got the same result. I also tried putting upward and downward pressure on the top but it didn't help.

My question is how best to get this thing opened up to inspect what the problem is. I was able to screw it back down tight so it is operating OK, but I need to get this figured out quick.

I'm going to be on the road for a couple of days so I won't be able to try anything until Sunday night, but it just happened so I decided to ask now.

When it comes to the point of making the thump noise, use an improvised lever between the parts being unscrewed to help it continue along the threads.

Such a lever could be a flat screwdriver of suitable size, a wooden spatula or something like that.

Could be that this is a two person and multi lever job.

I'm going to wait until I get back in town Sunday night to try this just in case I can't get it back together. I'd hate to have to leave it off over the weekend while I am out of town. I've got a 4 hour drive today and my wife is pushing to get out of here. :blah:

Is the stripped part most likely the knob or the rod?

filter has one year warranty. seen similar models where the tightening rod loosen from the bottom debris sump (usually from overtightening and/or lack of top lid O ring lubrication?) rod is probably intact so either the bottom or top female threads may be messed up. if under warranty, Hayward will replace with new filter. if not you could order replacement locking knob and use dremel tool to surgically remove current locking knob from rod assuming knob is stripped. if sump base is stripped, i'm not aware of a repair other than replacement of filter.

Went out to clean my C1200 cartridge filter this morning and can't open it. I can turn the knob about 8 turns before I get a loud click/thump and no more progress. I can tell something is stripped. I tried tightening it up and loosening it but at the same point I got the same result. I also tried putting upward and downward pressure on the top but it didn't help.

My question is how best to get this thing opened up to inspect what the problem is. I was able to screw it back down tight so it is operating OK, but I need to get this figured out quick.

I'm going to be on the road for a couple of days so I won't be able to try anything until Sunday night, but it just happened so I decided to ask now.

I had the same problem. I unscrewed it as much as possible and turned the pump on. The pressure popped the top off and I was able to clean the filter. Putting it back on, I had to press very hard to get the top to catch. It was a temporary solution and I am guessing I need to replace the long screw of the to handle, or both. Michele P.

I also have a c1200 cartridge filter. When I loosened the top knob, the filter top would not come off. What I did was use a block of wood and a hammer to gently tap the top filter cover up in a circular pattern, eventually separating the top half. I had an O-ring that needed lubrication. The filter top fits really tight even with a lubed O-ring.

filter has one year warranty. seen similar models where the tightening rod loosen from the bottom debris sump (usually from overtightening and/or lack of top lid O ring lubrication?) rod is probably intact so either the bottom or top female threads may be messed up. if under warranty, Hayward will replace with new filter. if not you could order replacement locking knob and use dremel tool to surgically remove current locking knob from rod assuming knob is stripped. if sump base is stripped, i'm not aware of a repair other than replacement of filter.

Can you tell me more about removal of the stripped locking knob and replacement?

If you are able to get the lid off, the knob is held in with a simple E-clip under the guide cone.

Use one of the methods above to get the lid off. You should not have to cut the rod or knob.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.