Programming an EcoStar Pump with a Goldline Aqualogic

Jul 12, 2012
Does anyone know how to maximize efficiency of the EcoStar with Aqualogic automation. Below are the details of my setup:

--Standard pool/spa combination, approx. 18,000 gallons
--Previous equipment: 3/4 HP Pentair Whisperflow (wore out, and most recently was screaming like a banshee), Pentair DE "nautilus" filter, pressure-side Polaris vacuum with booster pump, 1 HP spa pump and separate aerator, solar heating, gas heater, electronically controlled valves, Aqualogic PS-4 controller
--Previous run time was 0900 - 1600 hrs., with Polaris active from 1100 - 1200 hrs.
--Just replaced the Whisperflow with a Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP

I would like to know how to best program the Aqualogic to get the most energy efficient operation of the new pump. What I've already done:

--Verified Aqualogic firmware: version 2.66
--Attached communication lines (Aqualogic pins 2 & 3 to EcoStar pins 7 & 8)
--Gotten the pump running
--Configured the Aqualogic to variable speed pump
--Configured the EcoStar to Hayward/Standalone, and max rpm of 2800

...So what else should I do?! Do I set the timers a particular way on the Aqualogic? Do I run the pump from low speed most of the time? I'm not really sure what else to do, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Ecostar, like most VS pumps, will operate most efficiently (gallons/watt-hr) around 1000 RPM. But that may not be enough flow rate for your skimmers or cleaner to work properly. Trial and error is the best method to see what works for your situation. As for run time, 7 hours was probably way more than what you needed with your old pump but again, it depends on your own situation and what you are willing tolerate in terms of pool cleanliness.

Mark; thanks for the reply. I'm going to try setting the pump to high speed from 0900 till 1215. That will get the pool skimmed and also work within the cleaner timer setting, and then set down to low speed after that and see how much more I need for cleaning time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.