48 and finally getting a pool

May 26, 2018
Troy, Mo.
Morning everyone !

I have always wanted a pool, and that day is finally coming. I ordered a 24' x 54" Saltwater 8000 from the Pool Factory, upgraded to a 25mil Uni-bead liner, wall foam, cove foam, floor pad, AquaPro 190 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Hayward AquaTrol Saltwater Generator and some other odds and ends.

I've also ordered a bunch of stuff to make a bonding grid around the pool (still need the ground rod). Also ordered a 25lb box of CYA, will pick up 10 bags of salt in a few days. Will also order the Taylor K2006C kit too.

I found a local pool installer and once I get the pool, they say the install is about ten days out. I'm super excited, so are the kids ! I work in the technical department for one of the largest Dialysis companies in the world, and water is our main focus, we have huge water rooms with multi media filters, carbon filters, softeners, UV lights, reverse osmosis machines and UF filters. So testing water isn't something new to me, but it isn't exactly apples to apples. Testing the pool water looks like it will have a nice learning curve. I'll be here quite a bit I'm sure.

I've trolled the site for a bit, so I've found most of the info I need, but I'm sure I'll have questions.

Thanks for reading

Use the pool math tool on this site to check. 9 lbs seems like a lot to me. I raised mine from 40 to 80 this season because I switched to a SWG, and I think I used about 3 lbs. Maybe, I don't have the numbers handy. I have a 27' round pool, but only 42" so its about the same volume as yours.

I did use about 400 lbs of salt.

-dave

Use the pool math tool on this site to check. 9 lbs seems like a lot to me. I raised mine from 40 to 80 this season because I switched to a SWG, and I think I used about 3 lbs. Maybe, I don't have the numbers handy. I have a 27' round pool, but only 42" so its about the same volume as yours.

I did use about 400 lbs of salt.

-dave

Thanks, I finally figured out the Poolmath, and my numbers are correct. You already had CYA, I'll be starting from scratch, that is why I need so much. Unless I'm missing something

Be sure to test the fill water in your new pool before you finalize your calculations in Pool Math for what you're going to add. You won't find CYA in fill water, but you will find salt. And perhaps enough to overshoot your intended target if you don't account for it. Measure for salt in your fill water and plug that into the "NOW" column of Pool Math before you read how much salt to add. And for both CYA and salt (and other things, too), it's always prudent to add well short of your target amount, and let circulate for an appropriate amount of time (more for CYA, less for chlorine, etc), and then add in the rest based on testing your water to confirm the level of what you just added. Several things can skew Pool Math "advice" when applied to your pool, the main culprit being the size of your pool (the volume of your water). If you don't have that right, then that can greatly affect how much you add and how much you end up with. Better to undershoot, because with CYA, salt, and calcium, too, the only way to reduce levels if you overshoot is to drain some amount of water.

Congrat's on the new pool and achieving your long-awaited goal. And welcome to TFP. You're in the right place...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very prudent to start testing water before your pool arrives. You'll have a one-up on the learning curve. But for best-of testing procedure, I meant you should test the water after it's in the pool, for the purpose of filling in Pool Math correctly. It will likely be the same as the water out of the hose, but ya never know and good testing procedures and habits are always something to strive for.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure how it works with pool volume for a new AG. Where did you get your "15,200 gallon" number? Website? Sales brochure? Is that the entire volume of the interior of the pool, or is that calculated on the recommended fill level for the pool? Point is, you may not be able to trust that number. Do the math after the pool is full. Measure the circumference yourself, measure the depth, do the math.

Alternately, I describe here at TFP a method of filling your pool while taking readings from your water meter to calculate water volume that way. It's probably overkill for a pool with such a simple shape and very measurable dimensions, but if you're interested in this alternate MO, I can elaborate...

Well, I changed my mind on the hayward swg, returning it. I thought I was getting the right size, but seen on here you should double the size, so I bought a CircuPool RJ-30 Plus, actually a RJ-20 upgrade to a 30 for 4 bucks at discountpool.com

Well, I changed my mind on the hayward swg, returning it. I thought I was getting the right size, but seen on here you should double the size, so I bought a CircuPool RJ-30 Plus, actually a RJ-20 upgrade to a 30 for 4 bucks at discountpool.com

I know everybody says get double the size. However, I have a Hayward Aquatrol. My pool is about the same volume as yours. 27' diameter, with 48" walls, so call it 45" of water in the pool.

I run my SWG 4 hours a day at 70% and it keeps my pool where it needs to be. That SWG is running no where near its maximum capacity.

Now, my pool seems to be the exception. When I was using bleach, I used about a quart a day. Maybe it's the area, maybe the air, maybe the lack of debris that get in the pool, but my pool does not use that much FC a day (it does a get a LOT of sun). So maybe you do need a larger SWG and I am just the anomaly, but the AquaTrol is working just fine for me.

-dave

I know everybody says get double the size. However, I have a Hayward Aquatrol. My pool is about the same volume as yours. 27' diameter, with 48" walls, so call it 45" of water in the pool.

I run my SWG 4 hours a day at 70% and it keeps my pool where it needs to be. That SWG is running no where near its maximum capacity.

Now, my pool seems to be the exception. When I was using bleach, I used about a quart a day. Maybe it's the area, maybe the air, maybe the lack of debris that get in the pool, but my pool does not use that much FC a day (it does a get a LOT of sun). So maybe you do need a larger SWG and I am just the anomaly, but the AquaTrol is working just fine for me.

-dave

Thanks for the info, I may have been ok, but I do live on 3 acres, lot of wind in my area, will get 10 hours full sun, and 2 kids ready to swim, LOL, so I think the upgrade will be a good thing. The pool is scheduled for install Monday

Bather load and how much organics in the pool compared to others' pools is relative, and doesn't matter in this case. The larger the SWG, the less you have to run it, the longer it will last, the less you have to run your pump, the longer it will last, and the less electricity you'll use. In this case, bigger is better, even if smaller works fine...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.