Aeration and FC

shep377

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Does aeration lower your FC quickly? I was at 7.5 this morning, and left the aerator on all day and came home to FC=1. I figured it did, but that seemed like a huge drop.

I am adding to keep FC at 3-4, while waiting for pH to go back up so I can do another TA drop, and the CYA is simmering in the skimmer. Lots at work for me! Happy results: my TA is at 120 where it was at 200+.

duraleigh beat me...

Aeration only raises the ph and has nothing to do with FC.

If your FC is dropping that rapidly, it likely you have something that is using it up like algae. I would raise you FC up to your shock level ( for your cya level) and do a OCLT.

I just did the oclt two days ago and passed no problem. Tested twice.

My CYA is almost zero and it is hot and sunny. I think that may be contributing. I'm just going to keep topping up the FC until all else is good and then turn on the SWG.

A thought: high bather load drops CL, so wouldn't aeration by spray/splash drop it as well? Strangew

To add to duraleigh's point (not that it needs it) is the bather load is adding stuff....i.e. dead skin, urea, bacteria, etc. that needs to be sanitized/oxidized, the splashing has nothing to do with the FC loss.

Good point on the low cya causing high FC loss during sunlight hours on the pool. Between that and the high bather load (how high), that might explain the high FC loss. Hopefully you will have some cya doing it's job by tomorrow to lower that part of it.

What cya level are you shooting for and where were you to start with?

Give that sock a squeeze every time you go by it to speed up the dissolving.

I was testing somewhere less then 20 - which of course could mean 0. I guessed at 20, and was shooting for 55. Then a second dose a week later once I see the result and target 70. Once everything is set, turn on the SWG. That's the idea anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.