Safe to swim???

msce2

Jul 7, 2012
My husband is the president of our HOA, and our community pool management company said that the pool is safe to swim in even though the pump has been down since Tuesday. The chlorine levels are off the chart - not surprising as he informed us he has been shocking it every morning to try to keep the pool open. The water is very cloudy. The ph levels appear to be in the normal range based on the test kit we purchased from the local hardware store. I guess the bottom line is how do we tell if the pool is safe to swim in or if we should close it down.

Thank you.

Welcome to tfp, msce2 :wave:

Our guidelines for safe swimming (generally focused on residential pools) are:

1. FC levels above the minimum normal level and below the shocking level for the pool's cya concentration. [Do you know your pool's cya level?] These levels can be found here: Chlorine/cya chart.

2. ph between 7.2-7.8

3. Pool bottom clearly visible.

4. This one is somewhat debated/optional, but I do not like to swim when CC>0.5 ppm since forms of CC can cause eye and skin irritation.

Thank you for the quick response. The only test I was able to find at the hardware store - the closest walmart is 45min one way - had chlorine/bromine/ph levels. CL was bright yellow so it's above the 5.0/BR above the 11.0. Ph appears to be in the 7.2 to 7.8 range. The water is pretty cloudy but you can still see your feet at the bottom. The only instructions we were given - close the pool if you can't see the bottom anymore. I assumed that was for drowning purposes. However I think I will keep my kids out of it until the pump is repaired.

msce2 said:
However I think I will keep my kids out of it until the pump is repaired.
Good call. I really failed to address the pump issue. Adding chemicals without proper circulation is also a unsafe condition. In a small pool you might be able to get-by by brushing the pool when adding, but a larger pool would be difficult to mix properly, and you would not be able to ensure appropriate sanitizer levels though out the pool during swimming.

I would shut the pool down until the pump is repaired, and the chemical levels are properly balanced again. Also, you should have a better test kit for maintaining that semi-public pool then you have. See Pool Kits compared for an appropriate test kit.

linen said:
I would shut the pool down until the pump is repaired, and the chemical levels are properly balanced again. Also, you should have a better test kit for maintaining that semi-public pool then you have. See Pool Kits compared for an appropriate test kit.
I second the shut down and getting your own good test kit.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.