Another conversion - Finally done !!!

9PM Saturday evening (Day 4)
pH = 7.5; I added some acid but didn't get the reduction I'm looking for. I'll have to pick up some more acid tomorrow
FC ~30; I'd say I got it fairly high

at this point I'm leaving it alone for the night and will attack it again tomorrow

some pictures...

My filters - offering to the pool gods for every buying into the Baquagoo hype
pool03May2008001.jpg

Day 3 - clear but green
pool03May2008006.jpg

Day 4 - clear but red; Oh if only this were a pool full of Bass Ale :shock:
pool03May2008008.jpg

It's coming along!!!

Keep the chlorine flowing and the pics coming!

well, I've continued to add chlorine; backed off on testing since I've been consistently >20 ppm FC. I think my total so far is 74 gal of 10% solution. The pool is getting much clearer, although now I've moved from a nice copper-red color to a light green. We're working our way through the spectrum (Red-Orange-Green-Blue-Indigio-Violet). I'm hoping the next stop on the color wheel will be a nice clear blue - confidence is running high.

the spa doesn't look like it's full of Bass Pale Ale anymore :(
pool04May2008001.jpg

Pool getting clearer but I'm working through a green mood 8)
pool04May2008002.jpg

Hi Mark,

Been following your thread and although I can't offer much technical advice, I'm sending you some encouragement! These kind folks sure know what they're doing and will help get you blue in no time. Following the advice on this board, I went from green to clean in about 10 days! Welcome to the boards and good luck with the pool/spa - you've certainly come to the right place!

Greg

It looks soo much better! Like SOOOOO MUCH even though it's green, it's clear!

I can't wait for it to turn blue! I know you can't either!

You are almost done! 8)

so, it looks like I've moved to the land of OZ...emerald green.

at least I haven't "gone plaid" (anybody, anybody??)

I keep testing FC with drops - results continue to show >20 (I stop counting at 40 drops). I didn't add any today, hoping that the sun would do it's magic, but when I got home it still was high. I went ahead and added some Cl anyway :shock:

so....

A. should I even be bothering to test for FC? I'm concerned about running out of test solution (I'm already prepared to buy more but I need to plan timing for shipping, etc)
B. the pool seems clear, very little solids left from the conversion - I received my new set of filter cartridges and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and change them or wait until the green is gone

pool05May2008004.jpg

Great conversion Mark!

I don't know why, but I find myself weirdly fascinated with any and all conversion threads. Maybe it's because my friend has a Baqua pool and I know she'll be going through this eventually.

I won't swim in her pool and I don't let my dog get in, either. The water is murky and feels soapy, not to mention the foam on the surface. She said the other day that "the wonderful lady at the pool store" suggested she pour in Pristine Blue to clarify the water because it works so well on the lady's spa.

Sigh.

When she gets ready to convert I'll be sending her to your thread, Mark, and to the many other successful conversions on TFP.

AnnaK

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A. should I even be bothering to test for FC? I'm concerned about running out of test solution (I'm already prepared to buy more but I need to plan timing for shipping, etc)
B. the pool seems clear, very little solids left from the conversion - I received my new set of filter cartridges and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and change them or wait until the green is gone

A. Yeah, keep your FC up there and keep testing. As you already know (but as a reminder), test in the evening and then in again in the AM to measure your overnight chlorine loss. When you looe less than around 1-2ppm, the chlorine has eliminated virtually all the goo and you're almost done. That overnight chlorine loss is really the best way for you to determine your pool is cleaned up.

B. I don't know. I've never seen a conversion picture as clear as that water but with that strange tint. My reaction would be to stay the course but I'm questioning whether or not new cartridges might help clear that color out. I'd do nothing for a little bit 'til there's some more opinions here on the forum and then you can decide which course is best for you.

I'd be tempted to suggest a clarifier but that is a total WAG.

(Your refills will ship today USPS Priority Mail from NC....Thanks! :lol: )

tested this AM - FC = 34

I think for now I'm holding off on adding any chlorine until I see it begin to drop.

We will be away this weekend so I don't think I'll do anything with the filters until at least next week sometime. My guess is that the Baquagoo has somehow reacted strangely with the chlorine and the green tint is some weird by-product. Hoping that time, sun, and chlorine will reverse the reaction. I also suspect that putting the new filters in will help to remove it, but I'm not yet ready to sacrafice my new set (just yet)

the zenmaster....patience :roll:

"we've gone plaid" - Spaceballs

zinengineer said:
tested this AM - FC = 34

I think for now I'm holding off on adding any chlorine until I see it begin to drop.

We will be away this weekend so I don't think I'll do anything with the filters until at least next week sometime. My guess is that the Baquagoo has somehow reacted strangely with the chlorine and the green tint is some weird by-product. Hoping that time, sun, and chlorine will reverse the reaction. I also suspect that putting the new filters in will help to remove it, but I'm not yet ready to sacrafice my new set (just yet)

the zenmaster....patience :roll:

"we've gone plaid" - Spaceballs
You are correct, the biguanide will turn first brown and then green as the chlorine oxidizes it. You just need to keep adding chlorine until the pool is clear and blue and there is NO CC. Changing the filters is necessary to complete the conversion since there will be residue left in the old ones that you wll not be able to remove.

tested when I got home this evening - FC had dropped to 10. Not sure how much of that is attributed to sunlight vs. continuing to consume the "goo" - probably some of both. I added more chlorine (I'll have to tally the total when I'm done). I think I'm somewhere around 80 gal so far

No pictures today, but the green is a little lighter than yesterday so I'm keeping the faith. I'm also keeping the filters I've got in place and will wait to change to my new ones until the color becomes the blue I know is there (somewhere).

I'll get some pictures tomorrow. I'll also take a picture of my collection of chlorine containers.

Keeping the goal in mind.....Om Om Om Om

Headed in the right direction. I'm using my calibrated eyeball to judge the degree of color by looking at the steps in the pool. Contrasting pictures, looks like we're improving. I'm going to continue to add chlorine and wait to change filters when we get back from the long weekend.

The tint on the second step is lighter than in the last picture. All these pictures are taken at lunchtime, so the lighting is very similar
pool07May2008002.jpg

Just a few of the gallon containers of chlorine waiting for disposal. It's going to take several weeks to get these out, otherwise I fill up the trash can and no room for anything else :roll:
pool07May2008003.jpg

Wow, that looks so much better than what you started with :-D

Do you have a recycling center nearby? Most places will take #1 clear plastic or #2 colored plastic bottles, and the cardboard boxes they're in.

The green continues to lighten up. Tested last night FC @ 7, CC @ 6. Added more last night, tested this morning at >30FC so I'm leaving it for the weekend (we will be gone).

One added benefit I've noticed - my Hayward Navigator works SO much better now that it's got clean water to swim through. I was so disappointed with the widget before that I was ready to give up on it and buy a different type. My guess is that the polymer based "goo" was clogging up the gears and what-not inside the Navigator.

Duraleigh - the test products arrived - thanks :-D

I noticed the comment about recycling the plastic jugs. Rather than highjack my own thread, I'll start a separate rant about that subject when I return next week 8)

conversation upon return from long weekend....

wife = WOW-the pool looks beautiful
me = I think this is what a pool is SUPPOSED to look like
Sunday evening - FC = 1; CC = 3.5; pH = 7.2; TA = 135; CH = 340 Added 2X1 gal of 10%; FC up to 13 later in evening
Monday AM - FC = 8.5; CC = 6.5
Monday PM - FC = 3; CC = 4.5 Added 4X1 gal of 10% FC up to 25

I think at this point my strategy is to continue to add Chlorine as necessary to keep FC "high" and drive to CC to zero. I will then change my filters - my guess this will take a few more days.

Question - which order do I move next?

get pH up from 7.2 ? (I've got a blower on my spa so I could aerate or I could use my waterfall)
assume that aeration will drive TA down some
add CYA - I know I will need to do that. Target = ?? somewhere around 30-50 - we get a lot of sunshine so I'm guessing I'll need to go to the "upper" limit of "normal". I'm not planning on using pucks so I should be able to control the level.

some pictures - when I get some more time I'll add one for the home page "slideshow"

pool12May2008003.jpg

pool12May2008004.jpg

pool12May2008006.jpg

Now, THAT'S a Pool!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very nice work, Mark.

pH of 7.2 is fine. When you get ready to lower Alk to 100 or so (no hurry) I'd drop pH to 7.0 and then aerate.

With full sun, a CYA of 50 is very reasonable. I'd calc enough to get to 40 and fine tune from there.

You know, I'm not sure about changing the filter now or waiting 'til your CC's clear up. It may be the CC's are actually as a result of the filter. If they continue to improve as rapidly, certainly go your route and wait for them to drop to less than 1.0.

Others may chime in and have a better opinion than me.

Really an excellent conversion with great pics. Congratulations!! :lol: :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.