Another pump replacement thread

Mar 6, 2012
Kansas City, MO
My pump died. It was pretty old, the casing on the back has rusted out, it was LOUD etc. We tried fixing it, cleaned, lubed, replaced some seals. I got another few hours out of it, but in the end, the lack of maintenance from the previous owners and the pump not being used for over a year was too much. The wet end seems to be good
Now comes replacement.
It's a Hayward Super Pump, model #c48j2n131b1. The motor (SPX1605Z1M) goes for 150 and change on Amazon. Doesn't seem too bad, but should I consider any other options? Multi speed? Higher efficiency? Are they even available?

That particular pump size (3/4 HP uprated) did not come in a two speed version but you could go with the next size up to get the two speed motor: SPX1607Z2M
The motor will run under loaded but it will still work fine.

However, I noticed that you have an attached spa. Is this pump running the spa as well and did it work ok?

I haven't completely figured out the spa yet. The current pump does run the spa (1 return and 1 drain port) however there is another for it. A Jacuzzi Magnum pump, I haven't even had a chance to check that out yet. As of now it's shut off and no water is routed through the Magnum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.