Filling up pool

May 24, 2012
Dallas, TX
I am about to fill up my pool I drained 2/3 to get rid of high CYA…switching to BBB method. The small amount of water in the pool is green, and I am wondering if I should add a bunch of chlorine to the water now, while I'm filling it up? With the small volume of water, it would be easier to superchlorinate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I agree with Richard. Estimate the amount of water in your pool and add enough FC to get to shock level. Test it in an hour and if it's low readjust the amount and bring it back to shock level. That will keep you ahead of the game until you get anough in it to run the pump. If you have a main drain that you can isolate, you can run the pump pulling from there with the skimmer(s) shut off if you can get the pump to prime. That will provide the circulation you need.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just realized, however, that the small amount of water in the pool is still high in CYA (160 ppm), so I would still need to boost the FC that high to adjust for high stabilizer. While I'm adding water, the CYA will be decreasing along with the FC because of dilution. But the FC will become more effective as CYA decreases. Is this correct?

findog42000 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I just realized, however, that the small amount of water in the pool is still high in CYA (160 ppm), so I would still need to boost the FC that high to adjust for high stabilizer. While I'm adding water, the CYA will be decreasing along with the FC because of dilution. But the FC will become more effective as CYA decreases. Is this correct?
Both the CYA and the FC will dilute as the pool fills. So as the CYA goes down, so does shock level, but the percentages should be the same. So, shock for 160. By the time it dilutes to 80, shock level should be half, but there's twice as much water, so the same quantity of bleach would be needed. You won't use less bleach, you'll just save time by starting while you fill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.