DE filter - how often do you take it apart?

neen01

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 13, 2012
NJ
We have a DE filter - how often are you supposed to take it apart and clean it?
Is it a certain amount of time or just if it is working differently?
We are also not handy - is this something we can get a pool store/company to do for us or is it like the water testing in that they would do a bad job?

I have taken mine apart too many times to mention but this was before the BBB method. Since the BBB, I have not had algae blooms. I fought them last year but they are not are not an issue this year.

If you run the BbB method like it is intended too, you may only need to open it once a season. You can pay the pool company to clean the filter but they are pretty simple.

neen01 said:
We have a DE filter - how often are you supposed to take it apart and clean it?
Is it a certain amount of time or just if it is working differently?
We are also not handy - is this something we can get a pool store/company to do for us or is it like the water testing in that they would do a bad job?

Typically you backwash a DE filter at 6-8 PSI above the clean pressure, then add sufficient DE to make up for what was lost.

That said I think it's best to do a complete tear down, cleaning and recharge to spec once a season. This ensures that the DE cake doesn't get to thick or too thin.

Most any competent pool service company should be able to perform this service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.