no clue what to do

Jun 18, 2012
Pensacola, Florida
We have a 22' x 52" above ground pool. Set it up, within a day, it was green. Took a sample to a local pool store, had us turn off SWG, add 15 lb of baking soda, and more salt, and a canister of something "green away" (algecide perhaps?? not sure). It was clear again, but then we had severe rains for a weekend, we realized the leveling of the pool was off after the ground was so soggy. Emptied the pool, re-leveled, refilled, sparkling clean, used it once.

Two days later. Green again (this was yesterday). Got some fancier test strips, pH was high, so we got pH down to put in. Did a shock plus yesterday. Green was a little lighter this am (SWG has been off). The salt strips also say the salt level is only around 600-800 ppm!!! (isn't it supposed to be around 3000???)

Ok, so I got a shock blue packet today, but I brushed all over, vacuumed pool, cleaned filter (a dark rusty color all over that!), and put the shock in. Checked levels about 20 minutes later, pH about normal, alkalinity low, FC very high (expected that) and total chorline, normal to high range.

Still greenish, so what do I do now?

Just want to use the pool!

Welcome! Here's a list of things you'll want to do.

1. You need a quality test kit. TF-100 is the preferred kit around here. Test strips are notoriously inaccurate.
2. Once you get a good test kit, you'll need to post a complete set of results, and we'll guide you through what needs to happen.
3. I'm no SWG expert, but it sounds like you're chlorine production is not sufficient, and you need to follow the shock process.

The pool store did nothing to help you.....they sold you product that had nothing to do with the obvious algae issue.

Read through Pool School when you get a few minutes. You'll find everything you need to know so you can use the pool!

You want a complete test kit that contains an FAS-DPD kit for chlorine testing. It will give you accurate FC and CC up to 50ppm, which will be critical during the shock process. You can buy either the TF100 or Taylor K-2006. The TF100 is a little more, but it's a better value because you get more tests. The vast majority of users here use it. I have one, and I love it. I highly suggest springing for the SpeedStir as well. Extremely convenient.

Went to the pool store and they did a water analysis for us, free of charge, since we still had some of the chemicals we had purchased from them.

Here is the list:

total Alkalinity: 55
pH: 6.98
CYA: 30
FC: 8.95
TC: 8.95
CH: 25
copper: 0
iron: 0
Salt: 3100

Their prescription: turn off SWG for 72 hours (to avoid damage), add 5 lbs of TA (baking soda), wait 2 hours, add 5 more lbs (total of 10 lbs), add algaecide, then when pool is clear, put 4 lbs of stabilizer in pantyhose, and hang that on ladder

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.