pump draining, no prime in am.

May 22, 2011
immediatley after shut off the basket area bubbles and starts to drain. Apparently now it is draining to a point where the pump wont prime in the morning for start up,(the water in the "basket" is halfway or below the lower hole) i add water and bam it primes.
After shut off i can hear it draining in my heat pump and gurgurling in the filter

replaced top cover gasket and greased the in and out gaskets on the pump unions.
I am not seeing any water laying on the pad.

I have been chasing a leak in the pool. I eliminated the skimmer and returns by overnight plugging. So my water level is low and I am NOT using the skimmer right now , only the main drain. (have not closed that up yet to chk for the leak)

could the pump have a bad seal inside with a slow overnight leak?

What kind of filter do you have? Did you try opening the air bleed valve if the filter has one? Are you seeing water around the pump? Do you have a check valve between the filter and the heater?

Given that your water level is low, that's part of the problem, but if there were absolutely no leaks in the plumbing the pump basket would stay full and it would prime right off. do you have any leaks anywhere in your plumbing that you know of?

zea3 said:
What kind of filter do you have? Did you try opening the air bleed valve if the filter has one? Are you seeing water around the pump? Do you have a check valve between the filter and the heater?

sand filter, no bleed valve or check valve... I am going to make sure the area around the pump is totally dry tonight and look in the am.

duraleigh said:
You have a suction side leak. Somewhere between the skimmer and the pump you are sucking in air. Find that leak and the pump will hold prime and you will see/hear no more bubbles.

skimmer is off right now. leak between main drain and pump maybe? HOWEVER ( and i know you cringe at this) Right now i am sucking from my returns and returning through the main drain and i still have many air bubbles in the basket. Did this to try to eliminate a suction leak in main drain line

i will have to try to look closer at the equipment pad for water i guess.

Bama Rambler said:
Given that your water level is low, that's part of the problem, but if there were absolutely no leaks in the plumbing the pump basket would stay full and it would prime right off. do you have any leaks anywhere in your plumbing that you know of?

may be a small leak at the heat pump intake, also wanted to check that tonight ( very low to ground)

Took compressed air line out to the pad to clear water from heat pump condensation...

long story short, missing O ring on one of the pump drains. Fired it up and so far the basket is holding the water

thanks for your answers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.