Getting frustrated - new comer

britishexpat said:
Just got back from the store, bought plenty of bleach but could not find any borax, will get the wife to go get that in the morning..

Done the testing and here are my results

ph - 7.2
Chlorine - 0
Alkalinity - 300ppm
Hardness - 100
cyanuric acid - 65

how do I test the stabilizer levels?? if someone could tell me what I need to do next with the bleach etc? filter has been changed with a new one and is running... by the way I hope everyone that has commented realizes that I already have salt in this pool, I used the correct amount of 50kg last week two days after I had used the green 2 blue hth product... thinking I would have the pool clean ready to turn the system on... but as for todays testing results I guess that the alkalinity levels are way to high and the chlorine is to low, I take it that even though there is salt in the pool, it is not yet chlorinated due to the saltwater system not being on yet?

Hi, welcome to TFP! You are getting good advice, but I would like to take a moment to re-cap everything that has been discussed so far to make sure everything is clear.

While you may have over dosed the pool on some of the chemicals, they did dissolve and become part of the solution. What you are seeing as white particles now is the dead algae and other organic substances in the water. They will need to be vacuumed and/or filtered out. It may take several days of filtering after the shock process is complete to get rid of all the debris. This is usually where we tell folks they just need some POP (pool owner patience). While you are filtering out the debris you will be changing the filter cartridge frequently. The dirty cartridges can be rinsed and reused until they start to fall apart.

CYA is short for Cyuranic Acid. That chemical is also referred to as conditioner or stabilizer. Some powdered chlorine products contain CYA. Check the list of ingredients on the label, if it contains dichlor, or trichlor it will also contain CYA. Your current CYA level is good and you do not want to add any more. Also know that chlorine pucks and sticks may also contain CYA, so be sure and read the labels.

Yes, your TA is high, however that will not impact how much chlorine is needed to complete the shock process. TA mainly affects pH. Right now your pH is good. The high chlorine levels needed for the shock process will cause a temporary rise in pH. That is normal and does not need to be adjusted during the shock process.

Borax is not required to maintain your pool and is not part of the shock process. Borates from borax or other products containing boric acid are used to improve the feel of the water. Borates also act as a mild algaecide. After your shock process is complete you can do a little research and decide if you want to add borates or not.

The salt in your pool will not effect the shock process. It is fine as it is and after the shock process is complete you can turn the saltwater chlorine generator back on. (We call it an SWG for short). We usually advise people not to run the SWG during the shock process. It will save wear and tear on the cell and can mess up the overnight test results if you forget to turn it off.

Now, as for the shock process itself, this is best accomplished with plain, unscented 6% bleach from your local grocery store. You can use the pool calculator to determine how much bleach you need to raise the FC to shock level. Once you raise the FC to shock level you will need to keep it at shock level as much as possible until the shock process is complete. Test the FC level every couple of hours and add enough bleach to bring the FC back to shock level. How much bleach you will consume during the shock process varies. Each pool is a little different, and how well you are able to maintain shock level combined with how much algae and other organics are in the pool will affect how quickly the process will go. Keep the pump running 24/7 and change the filter cartridges as needed. If you don't want to keep the pump running unattended you can turn it off, but that will prolong the shock process.

One of the criteria for knowing the shock process is complete is the overnight chlorine loss test (oclt). To pass the overnight test, you measure the FC at dusk and again at dawn the next day. If you lose 1 ppm or less of FC you have passed the test. The other 2 criteria are that you have .5 CC or less, and the water is clear. If you pass the overnight test and have .5 CC or less tow nights in a row but the water is still cloudy then the process is complete and it is just taking your filter longer to clean up all the debris.

I hope this information helps. Feel free to ask as many questions as needed.

@zea3 thank you so very much for the breakdown of abbreviations... that helps out the beginner in me, learning so much already from 2 days on this forum... i'll do my best today to change the filter and monitor the readings but with the severe thunderstorms this may have to get done here there and where ever the weather calms.... I never knew you could just rinse and clean the filters off so I have bought some filter cleaner and a large container to let them soack over night after a rinse... I am very very grateful to everyone for their great help, so glad I found this site...

Bama Rambler said:
Did you add the bleach yet?
If so, when?
If not, go ahead and do that now.

could not do it yesterday as we had severe thunderstorms here, looks like some more of that over head but just managed to add some to the pool and a new filter on pump, I just went ahead and used a full container... I think that's 182 oz is that ok for now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
Adding 182 oz didn't hurt anything. You need to test and bring it back to 20 ppm as often as you can.

Good Morning to you as well.

Cheers, now when you say 20ppm, how do I measure this against the test colour chart, FC right? I think the chart goes from 0 to 10, I am right in thinking that 2 is 20ppm or not, sorry

You need the FAS-DPD test to accurately test the higher levels. When is your K2006 arriving?

On your test the 2 is 2ppm not 20ppm.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

jblizzle said:
You need the FAS-DPD test to accurately test the higher levels. When is your K2006 arriving?

On your test the 2 is 2ppm not 20ppm.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Looks as though my order never went through last night due to the storms turning off the internet connection
i'll go and order the test kit now, but before I do can you direct me to the kit I need that is going to last a while and covers the FAS-DPD testing, I am looking on the given link to the test kit and I see this,
Taylor Complete High Range Alkalinity and Chlorine FAS-DPD/CYA/Hardness/pH Test Kit

would the original k2006 still cover everything I need or do you think that I will need the more expensive one above linked? I just bought an hth 6 way testing kit and I still have the basic hth test kit with oto % phenol????

new results in after one 182 oz of bleach added

TC -10+ (cant read any higher until k2006 test kit arrives) up 10 from yesterday
PH - 7.2-7.5 up slightly from yesterdays 7.2
TA - 290 down 10 since yesterday
TH - 100 same as yesterday
CY - 70 up 5 from yesterday

Do I need to go and add anymore bleach yet or leave it for now and check again in another 2 hours when the filter usualy needs changing?

Note that when the FC > 10ppm, the pH will read falsely high.
While shocking there is no point in testing anything but the FC and CC ... try the dilution method Dave suggests for a little better idea.

Man I am daft sometimes, the FC reading was at 5 earlier not 10, it only goes to a 5, so now I have done the dilution half pool half bottles water the colour is between 3 and 5 that's now roughly 6 and 10..

shall I go and add more bleach now to raise this??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.