Automatic Cover observations Coverstar

Odd that my cover manual says to *only* use fresh water to rinse the tracks of the cover, no oils or sprays of anything.

We don't close our pool either, but I think it gets a bit colder up your way. I just run the pump non-stop on nights it is expected to be down in the teens or twenties. That is rare, obviously.

Maddie :flower:

About ready to pull the trigger on a Coverstar Top Guide Auto Cover. A couple questions for those in the know. 1) The bid include an up charge for "A1070 HIGH TORQUE MOTOR UPGRADE". Is this desirable or necessary given the size of the pool? 2) The bid did not include any drain to be installed in the cover housing trench. I asked and was told that "the motor is waterproof". Should I be concerned? The installation guides I found on Automatic Swimming Pool Safety Covers : Coverstar Central show a open air drain. 3)The bid includes installing a wood treated box as the housing. Is this sufficient?

I’ll bite.

The extra torque may be appropriate given the extra drag of a deck mounted cover. I presume the cover will be dragging on side sections of the deck?

Is this for an in ground cover vault? Not putting a drain seems silly unless the pool is in a valley and it would need to be pumped out. We have a 4” PVC drain. MAJOR amounts of water splash over our dam wall into the vault. I’d insist on a drain.

I also can’t wrap my head around a treated wood vault. I’ve seen and can appreciate gunite and plastic vaults. But treated? It would not be for me regardless of how much the installer promotes it.

Franky sounds like the installer is trying to the install cheaply, except for the motor which likely makes sense.

Thanks for the reply. The stairs are on the "long" side of the pool, so the overall cover will be expanded by a few feet to accommodate covering the stairs. So yes, the cover would drag pretty significantly on the deck.

The pool sits high and there is easy egress to run an open drain pipe so I'll push back on that and request a plastic vault.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.