Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: converting this week - high bacquacil levels

1. Back To Top    #1

converting this week - high bacquacil levels

Hi! I'm a newbie. We've had our AG for 1 yr. It's 24' x 54", hayward sand filter....clueless about pump. I want to start the conversion this weekend, but my Bac levels are....unfortunately....perfect for Bac. I think I read in another thread how to lower bac levels before starting the conv. but I can't remember what it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Leigh Pack

24' x 4' AGP (~13600 gal), Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5 hp pump, Hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

Some people have had great success using sodium percarbonate for the initial stage of the conversion. When it works correctly it can speed up the conversion process but it tends to cost more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Hi leigh and welcome to TFP

List as much pool/equipment info in your sig as you can. This will be needed by those trying to help you with your pool.

What test kit are you using?

Good luck with the conversion!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay....sorry it took me so long to post again....

I'm using test strips by Aqua Chem.....I know, FAR from what I need, but I'm going to get a kit SOON>

I started my conversion Sunday. We went from green swamp to pea soup to an opaque aqua color. Today, I actually saw the bottom of my pool....briefly. Then, I poured more bleach in... The bacqagoo isn't as prevalent now and I can tell I'm heading in the right direction.

Questions....

I know the test kit I need is the TF. But, for now, is there a less expensive one I can use....just until I can justify the extra $$ in my budget.

When I get my pool clear and add CYA, what then? What levels of chlorine should I have?

TIA for answering the newbie's questions!

ETA so far, I've added about 40 gal of bleach.
    Leigh Pack

24' x 4' AGP (~13600 gal), Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5 hp pump, Hayward sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    To do the conversion you really want to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test. You can get that by it's self from a couple of places, including TF Test Kits and Taylor.

A top quality test kit will save you lots of money by avoiding wasting chemicals, there really is no better investment you can make in your pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Even before reading your response, I had decided to purchase a test kit. I'm going to try to find one locally (mostly because I need it NOW), but if not, I guess I'll be buying the TF online....

Thanks! I'm looking forward to having a clean, clear pool like you all boast about!
    Leigh Pack

7. Back To Top    #7
    The kit you want is a Taylor K-2006, NOT the Taylor K-2005. This is the least expensive Taylor testkit you can find that has the FAS-DPD test in it. As far as it goes, Dave (Duraliegh) is VERY fast at sending out the TF testkits. If you order before 2 pm he ships that day , if I am not mistaken.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    The kit you want is a Taylor K-2006, NOT the Taylor K-2005. This is the least expensive Taylor testkit you can find that has the FAS-DPD test in it. As far as it goes, Dave (Duraliegh) is VERY fast at sending out the TF testkits. If you order before 2 pm he ships that day , if I am not mistaken.
    Thanks! I ordered mine this morning!!

BTW.....I can see the bottom of my pool! Woohoo!
    Leigh Pack

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry
    Hi, Leigh,

I am reluctant to get in on the discussion of how important a test kit is for obvious reasons. It was the single best purchase I made for my pool when I bought mine years ago. I hope you find yours as useful.

Yours shipped this afternoon and should be in your possession tomorrow. Thank you!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Hi, Leigh,

I am reluctant to get in on the discussion of how important a test kit is for obvious reasons. It was the single best purchase I made for my pool when I bought mine years ago. I hope you find yours as useful.

Yours shipped this afternoon and should be in your possession tomorrow. Thank you!!
    Yep, I've already checked the tracking site (twice ). I'm doing the happy dance. Sorry you missed it!
    Leigh Pack