Jul 3, 2011
Central NC
First off, thanks for the forum work. It's helped me and I've enjoyed my stay thus far. I don't want to sound ungrateful here.

On the avatar file size - is there any way to get this increased, or is this an option for those who are paying members? I only saw something about attachment limitations in regards to a membership. I run a forum myself and I understand that file space can be at a premium, but 6k? :shock: 6000 bits really doesn't get too much of a point across for computers these days. Even with 10,000 avatar pics you're roughly at 6% of one megabyte. :-D

I'll even offer to host the avatars at my site if phpBB will even do that.

If you know how to resize images effectively it is extremely easy to get an avatar down to the required size. If you don't know how to do that, post your picture and I am sure someone here will be happy to resize it down to an appropriate size for you.

Avatar size limits have nothing to do with disk space, but with page load time. Image file size limits do have something to do with disk space.

By the by, 10,000 6k avatars would be 60 Meg, not 0.06 Meg.

I hadn't considered the page load time. That's something that hadn't even crossed my mind. However, I think the physical avatar size is ok so that wasn't in my thought process.

Resizing images effectively isn't my problem. I actually work with images and graphics on a regular basis. The problem is effectively reducing photos to 6k with good software. Getting any image down to 6k in NOT extremely easy, but it is doable. (The proof is in your own avatar.) Graphics are much easier with this process than photos. Lightroom, Photoshop, and measly Mac Preview aren't able to get anything less than 24k - and that's at 100 X 64. I'll not bother anyone else with such matters since it's not really important. I was just surprised to see the limit where it was. I was able to take a photo that I turned into a graphic by cropping the whole thing and I got it down to 4k. Anything with detail though - forget it. I hadn't had to go down that low on file size with an avatar before so it is possible that I'm just a nitwit and have no idea what I'm doing.

BTW - I was wrong. 6k is 6000 bytes, not 6000 bits. Sorry. LOL So it would be ~80 meg.

Thanks Jason!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.