What can be done to save our pool and make it safe?

May 31, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
http://imgur.com/DufPl - Plans
http://imgur.com/8tOd7 - Currently

This was our ultimate design. For the most part it came out exactly as expected except for the area between the pool wall/wet deck and descending ramp - that ended up really steep. Its hard to tell from the picture but its like a 4ft drop over a 3ft run (the ramp in the plan came out to about 3ft wide) - starts off at a nearly 90 degree angle at the area closest to the wall opposite the descending ramp - not the slope like you see in the design. The pool was two days from completion and so everything is gunnite, tile, and decking, just no plaster. My wife is blind and suffers from balance issues and thinks this would be too much of a drop off if she were to loose her balance. We asked for an inspection and the county inspector said everything looks good but we are still concerned.

Is there anything we can put there that might make it less of a drop or keep someone from sliding down?

Welcome to TFP!

I'd think that slope would be a danger regardless of a person's vision/balance. IIRC, most guidelines call for no more than 1ft of drop in 3ft of run, but the transition from the wet deck may be no different than a tanning ledge on any other pool.

With the very shallow water on the wet deck, you might be safe to put a railing along the transition.

What about inserts in the pool floor to enable a handrail to be installed (removable) separating the edge of the ramp from the slope?

People but inserts in for umbrellas (but maybe they beef that area up with concrete I don't know).

If you did try to do some sort of handrail/barrier I don't know what material would be safe but now would be the time to put in some inserts for the poles....

I installed a volleyball net and the inserts for the poles are stainless steel with matching lids (for when poles are removed) and the poles are the same (dif diameter) stainless steel and would definitively be beefy enough for this type of use.

I do really like the design, and when I discovered the reason it all makes sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.