Perplexed - Purple Precipitate Polluting Pool

Ok. After 8 days and 9 cycles of the pool water - I think the CYA problem is solved. It's hard to exactly read that test, but I'd say my CYA is now 30-35 depending on how fussy I want to be about seeing (imagining) the dot.

Current results:

FC 2.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 140
Cal 160
CYA 35

How close am I to the target levels for things like TA and Cal? (probably not too important with fiberglass pool) I'm having trouble finding a good idea of the target levels on the site.

Feels like I'm well on my way now. Next step is probably to figure out how to operate the freakin' filter. I bought a bunch of DE at Leslie's so I think I'm ready to tackle that.

Much help for all of the help here!

Swannie,

Very nice work! :lol: Your T/A is a little bit high but I wouldn't sweat it. Might be a good project for the summer to bring it down to around 100. The rest of your numbers are very nice.

If you find you're using more than about 2ppm chlorine this summer, I would suggest moving your CYA up to around 50.

"consuming" would have been a better choice. Most pools (outdoor) here on the forum seem to consume 1.5 - 2.5 daily.

Much more than that then it's time to make some changes or look for some problems (algae)

I like to run fiberglass pools a bit higher in CH. Some sources say that calcium helps prevent metal staining in fiberglass pools and I have found it to be true in mine. I run mine at about 250 ppm.
If you are using bleach or other unstabilized chlorine source then you will get MUCH better pH stability if you drop your TA to around 70-80.

Other than the tiny bit of CC you have your numbers are not too bad.

duraleigh said:
"consuming" would have been a better choice. Most pools (outdoor) here on the forum seem to consume 1.5 - 2.5 daily.

Much more than that then it's time to make some changes or look for some problems (algae)

So for my 25,000 Gal pool, I can count on using a half jug of bleach daily? That seems like a lot.

Time to get a Costco membership!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.