Filling the new pool and strarting the BBB question

Shawdaddy1972

LifeTime Supporter
May 14, 2012
Gulfport, MS
So that I am certain I start off on the right foot. Will the following plan be correct to start the BBB method in a brand new pool?

1. Filling pool with city water.
2. When water is high enough, start the pump--continue to fill
3. Test water with my Taylor Test kit
4. Plug readings into the pool calculator
5. Adjust water with BBB as calculator recommends

Do I need to let the pool filter just the regular water a certain amount of time before adding chemicals?

Do I need any other chemicals other than Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda and Muratic Acid to start this pool?

Thanks, Chad

You should have the pump running for at least an hour before testing the water. Other than that, you can start adding chemicals as soon as the pump is running.

You are going to want some CYA/cyanuric acid/stabilizer/conditioner, many names all the same chemical.

Also, on the first day, add 2 ppm of chlorine after sunset (and none before sunset). Starting the day after you add CYA, chlorine additions can follow the normal rules.

JasonLion said:
You should have the pump running for at least an hour before testing the water. Other than that, you can start adding chemicals as soon as the pump is running.

You are going to want some CYA/cyanuric acid/stabilizer/conditioner, many names all the same chemical.

Also, on the first day, add 2 ppm of chlorine after sunset (and none before sunset). Starting the day after you add CYA, chlorine additions can follow the normal rules.

Great..thx for the info. The pool caculator with tell me what 2ppm equals?

You should be able to test the fill water now and that should be VERY close to what your initial pool levels will be ... {not sure why Jason said you need to circulate the water for an hour before testing if this is a 100% new fill ... I suppose the pH could change some in the process of filling???}

You CYA will be 0, but knowing the pH and TA will determine what chemicals you will need to get in balance. For example, for pH you will need muratic acid OR borax and the only reason you would need baking soda is if your TA was too low.

Got the pool full and started the BBB...Here is where I am at now:

FC: 6
TC: 6
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA: 180
CYA 40

Water is clear with just a little hint of yellow, but I suspect this will clear up. I have the pump running 24 hrs right now, but will put it on a schedule as soon as the water is stable.

Is there anything I need to be doing? My pool is in direct sunlight with little shade throughout the day.

Thanks for any help :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.