Conversion...from Baquacil to Chlorine

CF

May 10, 2012
Good morning!

I'm excited to be converting, and thank you for this wonderful board / community! I will be sure to take some pics and post during the process ... :party:

Quick Background: My pool has not yet been opened, I'm in the planning / recon stages :mrgreen: . I noted that the filter sand will need to be changed AFTER I've successfully stabilized chlorine levels. Currently, my filter is EMPTY and sitting in my basement since I planned to put new sand in this season ...

My question is this: Since this is new sand, do you recommend that I change the sand again after chlorine stabilized as indicated in the conversion steps, or will the sand still be good to go since it's kind of new? Or if brand new, 2nd batch of sand will still be needed, any suggestions on how I might "plug up" my pool while I disconnect filter and re-sand it again?

Thanks again!

Welcome to TFP!

The conversion process tends to clog up the sand with gunk, requiring the sand to be replaced at the end of the conversion.

What kind of pool do you have? Is your filter below the pool water level?

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes, it is an above ground pool, Filter is on ground next to pool, and connects about 3/4 to the top. If I disconnect the tube from the filter, water will come out, but only until it drops to the level of the "hole". I guess I could stop up the tube somehow, raise it above pool level perhaps?

You can disconnect the hose from the filter and toss it over the wall of the pool, or you can block the return from inside the pool with an appropriately sized rubber stopper. The skimmer can usually be blocked with a tennis ball.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.