Questions from a newbie

May 1, 2012
NC USA
Hi, we are looking to install an IG 16 x 28' liner pool. I am new to all this so please bear with me. We are looking at a (Pacific) Regatta pool although places in our area also install Fort Wayne IG liner pools as well and that would be another option. It will be surrounded by cement on all sides.

If we use the pool company we plan to use, they offer their selection of Hayward (and maybe Pentair or something like that) pumps etc. I'm wondering about what is best? We want something that will not hurt our children's eyes or skin or turn their hair green. We do not like chlorine and thought we wanted salt but I'm confused at this point and the price went up when we told them we wanted salt.

Then we recently swam in a neighbors Mineral Spirits pool and enjoyed that and got out without any eye/hair, etc issues and also swam in a pool that was ionized (?) and it was great too.

So, would you please share your opinions?

This company pushes baquacil which I know we do not want and they also did mention the Nature 2 system thing when we pushed the salt and mineral and ionization options. They seem to have an agenda and of course want us to buy their product. We need the pump/filter system regardless or what type we choose, right? I would love to not have to do too much to tend to the pool, my friend with the mineral spirits just dumps something in once a month and puts her vacuum in daily and it stays beautiful but her pool is huge in comparison to what we are getting. We are on a budget but also want a quality system for the pool of course.

She [s:2ypgu0ef]He[/s:2ypgu0ef] got it right. Chlorine doesn't turn your hair green. Most of the time it's copper that does that and guess what those mineralizer/ionizers put in the water. Yep, copper!

You are right about having to have a pump and filter no matter what system you go with. All the major mfg's of equipment make good equipment. It boils down to what service is available in your area. Do a little looking and see what the majority of folks in your area carry and work on then choose from that.

An swcg is a good way to go as it makes the chlorine in the pool and is very convenient to use.

moppymo said:
I'm wondering about what is best? We want something that will not hurt our children's eyes or skin or turn their hair green. We do not like chlorine and thought we wanted salt but I'm confused at this point and the price went up when we told them we wanted salt.

My wife and daughter both have blonde hair, and both say they are "extra sensitive" to chlorine in pools. The wife, in fact, flat won't swim in any public pool...it bothers her eyes too much.

All I've done with our new pool is maintained the numbers suggested in pool school, using the chemicals and techniques discussed there. Nothing fancy, no worries about which box of this, or what brand of that...just plain ole BBB...

Neither of the girls has had so much as a second's discomfort or worry, after hour+ long sessions in the pool. In fact, the water is SO comfortable, this is the first time our daughter has ever voluntarily taken her goggles off.

The other day I overheard her telling a friend that "My dad uses some weird stuff in the pool, but it's awesome, it never bothers my eyes or nose". :lol:

I'm a pretty small sample size of one, I admit...but chalk up one vote for plain ole simple BBB here.

Thank you for your responses!

So, when my pool company installs the pool, they said we could go with a "salt" system and then no waste drainage area is necessary or use the regular system (I assume standard chlorine) and have a waste drainage system. Does this make sense? If I end up using the BBB at some point- do I need to be able to backwash or empty through this waste system or will I be ok without having it installed? Of course they will want to start up the system however they(pool company) normally do it and then in time we may decide once we are comfortable to go with the BBB.

Also, have you heard about Salt proofing? One pool company told me they will salt proof the liner? Interesting. Not sure what to make of it.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "waste drainage area". Sand and DE filters require releasing some water each time the filter is cleaned. Cartridge filters do not require releasing water. But nothing about having a SWG or not relates to "waste drainage area" that I can think of.

"Salt proofing" the liner makes absolutely no sense. The liner doesn't care what the salt level is in the slightest.

JasonLion said:
I'm not completely sure what you mean by "waste drainage area". Sand and DE filters require releasing some water each time the filter is cleaned.

Might be able to help here. i think it's a municipal/location thing, rather than a "pool thing".

When we got our AGP, one question we were asked was whether we had an HOA or any muni regulations regarding where large amounts of waste water had to be drained. Apparently, some specify that you can't just backwash into your own yard or what have you, so you have to have an "allowable" method of disposing of waste water. As it happens, ours did not, but I did learn of some nearby that have such regulations.

I suppose it's POSSIBLE an HOA or city might determine that, in part, by why sort of system you're using (salt or not)...I've never heard of one who does though.

I bet you are right, it may be a local thing. I know they had to draw it into the plan to submit for the permit for the city so that makes more sense. I just don't understand it all completely- obviously. I'm sorry. Still learning.

The salt proofing may not be for the liner- I thought that is what he said- maybe I am wrong there too. I'll ask again for clarification. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.