test results please help

Several questions -
Test is as follows:
FC 2.5
PH 7.7
TA 100
CYA 40
I am using way too much chlorine. I put in some more stabilizer 5 days ago, see no difference when testing today, so I just another lb to my skimmer in a sock. Pool school says test after a week, but shouldn't I have seen some difference at this point?
PH keeps rising, I bring it to about 7.5, and up it goes. Is this TA?
What makes TA rise? Once I bring it down, how do I keep it down?
I appreciate the advice

gemphx said:
I am using way too much chlorine.
How much are you using? Does your pool get a lot of sun and what are the temps down there in phoenix right now?

gemphx said:
I put in some more stabilizer 5 days ago, see no difference when testing today, so I just another lb to my skimmer in a sock. Pool school says test after a week, but shouldn't I have seen some difference at this point?
I would think you would have seen some change. What was your starting cya level and how much total have you put in?

gemphx said:
PH keeps rising, I bring it to about 7.5, and up it goes. Is this TA?
I would guess so. How often are you having to lower ph? You could follow the how tolower TA, and shoot for ~70-80 ppm...but if you keep lowering ph with MA eventually TA should come down.

Do yo have an autofill? If you do, what is your fill water TA?

I am having to add a gallon of chlorine a day - I get total and complete sun during the day, and temps are in the low 90's now.
CYA read about 40, so last Sunday I added a pound of stabilizer. I see no diff. in the reading today (Thursday) so have added another pound.
Interesting thought about the auto fill. I had TA down to about 80, and my auto fill was set way too high and overfilled the pool! I turned it off, but possible that it brought that TA up again.

gemphx said:
I am having to add a gallon of chlorine a day - I get total and complete sun during the day, and temps are in the low 90's now.
CYA read about 40, so last Sunday I added a pound of stabilizer. I see no diff. in the reading today (Thursday) so have added another pound.
Interesting thought about the auto fill. I had TA down to about 80, and my auto fill was set way too high and overfilled the pool! I turned it off, but possible that it brought that TA up again.
That is a lot of chlorine :( If you are using 12.5% then that is a loss of 11 ppm FC/day. I would do the OCLT to check for something more than sun eating up your chlorine.

What is your fill water TA?

If you are losing 11ppm of FC in a 24 hour period, that's too much. What are the two things that consume chlorine? One is sunlight and you have put in enough CYA to lessen that effect (sunlight will typically account for maybe a 2-3ppm loss in a balance pool.)

The ONLY other thing that consumes chlorine is organics in your pool so that's what you have. If your testing is correct and you are having to add 11ppm of chlorine daily, you need to shock the pool.....regardless of the appearance of the water

I am going to do the overnight test tonight.
How much difference in chlorine loss will cya make? If it's still really low would that account for high chlorine loss?

Hi Dave -
I'm sorry, did not make myself clear. I understand that CYA will not account for loss at night (no sun), but I was questioning what it would do during the day.
I did the OCLT last night and showed no loss, so apparently I am losing all during the day.
I know my cya is low - I am adding slowly cause I don't want to overshoot, but I hope it's not too low.
I measured at about 40, then added a pound - 5 days later it showed no increase, so i added another pound 2 days ago. Can't afford all this chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.