Replacing filter pump motor...

pendo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 24, 2011
Hi everyone....want to make sure I'm not totally screwing up here...

Here's the scenario: been clearing up the swamp from the winter...had washed the filters a couple times already but pressure was still kinda high (I think). Came home from work and as soon as I went to the back yard I knew something was wrong from the sound. I saw this:
20120409_191959.jpg

Pretty scary!! I had to break it to get it out:

20120411_154307.jpg
20120411_154319.jpg

So something inhibited the water flow to the point where it slowed enough and became super heated then melted the filter basket, deformed the 2" pvc pipe (contracted the inflow and expanded the output). The motor was still running when I got home and water was flowing but only enough to keep the basket approximately 2/3 full.

I did a very thorough filter cleaning, replaced the basket and fired it back up and while there's some air leaks from the pvc issues, it primes and pumps fairly decent imo. BUT, the motor gets stupid hot. Within 30-45 minutes you aren't going to touch it for more than just a split second.

So....obviously I've got other issues to deal with now besides just the motor, but it was starting to get very loud last year (and pretty hot too), and it just seemed like it was on it's way out. The cleaning system pump is much quieter/cooler. I originally had my sights set on a new Pentair VS 3050, but it's just not in the budget at this time. In researching I saw the link to the 2EZ Speed and am intrigued with this. First it's a lower HP than what I have now, but from everything I've seen I'm WAAY overpowered for our setup. Based on the manual for my pump, it looks like replacing the motor, water slinger, seal plate kit, impeller, o-rings would be under $400. Still pretty tough to swallow, but I've GOT to cut the energy bill on this pool and this seems like a good way to both fix a problem and get more efficient at the same time.

Am I wandering too far off the beaten path here?

As far as the overall state of the pool, I've been running the filter pump when I'm at home to keep an eye on everything, and that combined with the cleaning pump running 24/7 I'm sparkly clear :) I'm heading to Lowes right now to get an intermatic timer for the cleaning pump which should help on electricity costs for that one.

our rate is very low...which actually confuses me a bit. I calculate we are under $.08/kwh. For this pump, max load amps are 9.6 @ 230V = 2208 watts.

Now, we were running 24/7 the first half of last summer but I started manually turning them off at nights (when I remembered) and then turning them on before leaving for work (again, if I remembered). Getting timers will be a huge help, which, the above mentioned pumps have.

For anything less 21-22 cents the return on your investment will be faster with a 2 speed pump. Cutting the run time down from 24/7 obviously will save you money as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.