Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any Shroomers Out There?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any Shroomers Out There?

We love Morel mushrooms. Its mushroom season here and we hit the jackpot the last few days. Morels come in gold/yellow, browsn, greys and black with subtle variations of each. We usually find a good number of golds and yellows but it is very dry this year. The blacks are our favorites and usually like finding a needle in the haystack in our area, last year we found 4 blacks (they have a nutty flavor - mmmm.) We fry them in olive oil and they are wonderful! We can sell them for $30 a pound at the Asian Markets.

We ate a bunch before I took pictures but this is just YESTERDAY'S haul -

Most of those we find are half this size, but this year was a bonus year! (BTW, my son should NOT have taken the root, we usually leave that in the ground to spread)

18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

2. Back To Top    #2

Aaaccck and Blaaarg.

Not for me, my wife likes shrooms, but I doubt she would eat wild ones.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

3. Back To Top    #3
    Trick or Treat!!!!...........................EEEEEEWWWWWWWW GROSS!!!

After all the warnings from your mother not to eat mushrooms in the wild, how ever did you find that these are OK?? Or did you plant them?

I love mushrooms, but those sorta look like weird squid!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4
    They are like a religion in Indiana, but the season was messed up this year because of the cold snap in April. I only got one good mess of yellow ones.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5
    Morels are the Minnesota State mushroom. I learned all about them when my son was in the 6th grade and he had to do a report on them for science. There really isn't anything else out there that looks even close (not even false Morels once you have seen a real one) Real morels are hollow from top to bottom.

Shroomers up here are obsessed with them too - people guard their spots like treasure and take the locations to their graves rather than give em up! If you like mushrooms, there isn't anything like these with the nutty flavor - they are not strong like ****akes. My teenagers HATE mushrooms but love these - go figure. I think the thrill of the "hunt" makes them more attractive. Last year we got probably 10# of the gold and browns.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

6. Back To Top    #6

ah mmmmm one of the few things I miss about living there...The mushrooms, waleye, and pike.
    I didnt ever get a muskie but tried many times.
    Steve
    Echo Canyon II by Artesian Pools, 13.5 KGal AG Round, 22" Artesian Sand Filter 2 hp Artesian pump
    Med Lab Tech for 12 years in E.TN
    Chem testing by Trouble Free Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Those look great. I can almost taste them dipped in flour, Salt & Pepper then fried in butter.

THAT is the way to eat them.

When I was young they were so plentiful but after Dutch elm disease
    Killed off all the elm trees they became more difficult to find.

Enjoy some for me.
    10,000 Gal. - Plaster – I.G. - Sand Filter – NOT USING MY Auto Puck Chlorinator.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Beautiful pictures...I don't think I have to tell you to enjoy

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG