Foam under intex ultra frame

I just took up the neighbors 12x48 metal sided pool, its been installed full of water for 7 years. He used the white expanded sheet foam that has a thin layer of aluminum, with shiney side up, thier was roots under the foam but no roots going thourgh the foam..

Last year (3rd for Intex 14x42) I used the anti-fatigue mats. Without question it's the best. I caught them on sale at Freight Harbor. They are 25" square, 1/2 in. thick and they fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. Right now they are on sale each pack of 4 is $9.99 (reg. $14.99). I numbered them after they were installed. I go with heavy plastic, tarp, foam pads, tarp then pool and take the time to remove any creases. For me it's the only way.

People have done it both ways, but the foam always gets destroyed if pavers (or boards) are not used.

Everyone indicates the recommended wood supports need to be level/flush with the ground. When using the rigid foam, how do you compensate for the added height of foam and compression from weight of pool? Or am i over thinking this?

Thanks for any advice!

I just put in a 24x52 overlap liner into my Intex ultra frame that was leaking. I drained the pool, dried the stock liner and glued down the 1/8" wall foam. Once it was smooth I put in the new liner. Comfort-wise, I love it. Makes a huge difference when walking around on it. The only issue is the new liner surface and the foam surface are like well oiled bearings and there is little to no friction holding the liner in place (yes, even with the weight of the water).

A really fast whirlpool can make the liner wrinkle in the center in small spots but not so much that it is noticeable or affects vacuuming.

This is my second year with my intex pool. Last year i used the foam/tarp combo and double taped (triple on the long sections) with gorilla tape. I took the pool down over the winter to get it more level for this year. I actually left my foam out in the sun/rain/snow/ice all winter long and didnt touch it until a few weeks ago. I pulled all the old gorilla tape off...washed it down with water and re-used it this year. Because the tarp literally disintegrated in the sun over the winter, i did not even bother replacing it this year...i'm happy so far. In fact, i didnt spend the extra cash on gorilla tape, i found some heavy duty all weather 3m duct tape and was half the price...its working great. So, no tarp, and my foam doesn't seem like its going to budge under 40,000lbs of water. I really think the folks that say their foam shifted, probably didn't have it super tight in the first place. Anyways, thats my experience....here is a photo of me reusing the foam this year...

edit: i wanted to mention this....i made my pavers flush with the dirt this year and put the foam right on top....marked the location w/ a black marker (marked where the pavers were underneath the foam so i knew where to put the legs) and set it up like that. The legs very slightly crushed the foam....i also think this will help it from sliding....even though i dont think its gonna slide in the first place ;) Best of luck! Post some pics!

http://i.imgur.com/pqiBbSo.jpg

Nate,
My extruded polystyrene shifted because I didn't use enough tape. My joints were tight. The insulation I used had a thin layer of something similar to plastic wrap ( moisture barrier? Maybe.). Any way that layer pulls away from the insulation if you pull up the tape. I'm thinking that my using only one layer of duct tap (yeah, not Gorilla tape) left only 1 1/2" on either side of the seams. Not a lot of tooth with 15000 gallons of water pressing down not to mention the ocean motion going on when the pool is full of people. Next time, if I do an intex I will triple tape all seams tho, I may like you, forgo the tarp. Like yours, the sun ate the exposed tarp up from around our pool.

Nate,
My extruded polystyrene shifted because I didn't use enough tape. My joints were tight. The insulation I used had a thin layer of something similar to plastic wrap ( moisture barrier? Maybe.). Any way that layer pulls away from the insulation if you pull up the tape. I'm thinking that my using only one layer of duct tap (yeah, not Gorilla tape) left only 1 1/2" on either side of the seams. Not a lot of tooth with 15000 gallons of water pressing down not to mention the ocean motion going on when the pool is full of people. Next time, if I do an intex I will triple tape all seams tho, I may like you, forgo the tarp. Like yours, the sun ate the exposed tarp up from around our pool.

yeah! that thin plastic layer! that came off mine during the winter...what didnt my 5 year old son and i yanked off ;) I see no point in using the tarp. i would try triple tape like you said, i think you'll like the results. I think i ran out so close to the end, and instead of riding to the home store i used some foil tape...stuck even better than the duct lol Good luck, i hope it works for you :)

With any luck, when my intex dies and goes to pool heaven I'm going to get one of the kind that you hire someone else to set up as a replacement. I'm going to sit back with a cold glass of iced tea and pick holes in how they do it. I figure I can do that because i set mine up. Every thingfrom inlaying the step stones to assembling the pool, and every mod to it. I've figured it all out and implemented it. The next one, I get to relax and watch. So, probably they won't use the insulation but, that's OK cause I'll get to just watch!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

With any luck, when my intex dies and goes to pool heaven I'm going to get one of the kind that you hire someone else to set up as a replacement. I'm going to sit back with a cold glass of iced tea and pick holes in how they do it. I figure I can do that because i set mine up. Every thingfrom inlaying the step stones to assembling the pool, and every mod to it. I've figured it all out and implemented it. The next one, I get to relax and watch. So, probably they won't use the insulation but, that's OK cause I'll get to just watch!

Amen!!! I just turned 33 years old, i work outdoors in the humid NC heat all day long...i dug my pool out myself! Exhausting hot work! If/when we ever do it again, i'm in the exact same train of thought as you!! I, though, might have a multitude of beers instead of a cold glass of sweet tea :)

I'm 56. Was 54 when i dug in the stones for the pools feet and set it all up.

This would be a name your own poison situation. Iced tea, beer, and I was recently introduced to Fireball Whiskey. Yum! Have never liked beer or liquor but that is some good stuff! Tastes just like a fireball (with a kick! ). Can't wait to sit back and watch someone (who isn't ME) do all the labor. Tho, I do get a kick out of being able to tell people that "I" did it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have used the 2 foot square anti fatigue mats that fit together, for 5 years. Pool comes down every winter and I stack the matts in a pile under deck. Pool is on leveled pea gravel. Only these matts, no tarp. Works great.

Do you think it will be okay that my foam will be about an 1" higher than my patio blocks at some areas? As I was leveling the blocks, I had to dig in a few of them to get them level with the lowest block.

i had to start new this year due to old intex 14 x 42 frame totally rusted out. I decided to do it correctly and was on line with all the folks from TFP constantly. I went with the foam and cut out around the foam so that my legs rested on the pavers. Its remarkable how well it is working . I live in Texas and built a deck so will keep it up all year as well. I guess i got luck because my Home Depot I got the 3/4 " for $9.98 a sheet. I am attempting to attach 2 photo's that may help. Good luck the foam is
worth it and again i relied on the these and i still owe them cold beer.
foam  cut out legs.jpgfoam under top frame.jpg

I did the weird math by turning my 16'circle into square footage and then divided by 32 ( the square footage of the sheet.
I knew from the folks at TFP that i would have extra when I cut off the squared edges. When i used that formula for your size 26' I cam up with you needing 21 sheets & some extra. My step 2 was the pic i showed setting up the top of the pool to get an exact size of the pool when up , and be able to see where the feet lay to get an exact & precise size. The sheets cut very easy and if you do this method you can know where to place your pavers if you tend to use them. Sorry this is so confusing.Once you do this you will not regret the foam under pool. The foam is very easy to cut and actually has some soft lines in it to follow cuts. Make sure you get good tape and plenty of that. If i have not put you to sleep or take a brick to yor head if you need anything you can PM or email direct @ [email protected]. Good luck drink plenty of beer you will need it

Do you think it will be okay that my foam will be about an 1" higher than my patio blocks at some areas? As I was leveling the blocks, I had to dig in a few of them to get them level with the lowest block.

I can't imagine this would make much of a difference. The main thing is that your supports are all level to each other. If it was more than 1" anywhere I would be a bit concerned and maybe re-level the unerlying surface.

Very handy newbie here! I am installing a Doughboy 18' round AG pool in the next few weeks - first one ever. I live in centeral Wisconsin. The pool will be up year round (with winter care, of course). I am trying to figure out if you all are laying the foam and assembling the walls on top of the foam (or cutting holes for the uprights) or if you are putting up the walls and cutting the foam to fit inside. It seems to me that the later (putting up the walls and cutting the foam to fit inside) would be the best way to go so you don't see the foam when all is said and done - especially is you're using a self-adhesive cove. Is this correct? I used a sod cutter to remove all my sod and will be incorporating my pool into my landscaping with a partial wrap-around deck. The virgin soil is a sandy topsoil with no rocks (the few that are there will be removed). Here is what I was thinking (comments welcome!):

Again - I have already removed all sod - the area the pool is going is relatively flat

1) I will place/lay pavers at each vertical upright (forgive me if my terminology is incorrect!) - any tricks to this aside from using a transit?
2) Based on the paver locations (relative to the ground height), I will level the existing ground/add sand as required (I have a few ideas for doing this but again, it's pretty flat already) (how much sand is recommended?)
3) I will build the wall/frame
4) I will lay out foam panels in my yard, draw the radius of the inside pool on the foam, and pre-cut them all (and number them)
5) I will lay a vapor barrier plastic between the ground and the foam (what mil plastic is recommended?)
6) With the frame built, vapor barrier down and foam pre-cut, I will lay the foam inside the pool walls (foam will cover any exposed pavers) (foam will decrease the "depth" of the pool)
7) After the foam is laid I will install a tarp or pad (not sure yet if this is necessary)
8) After the pad I will install the self-adhesive cove
9) Then liner, etc....

Does it sound like I am on the right track? Keep in mind that I do not have the pool install instructions yet. Mainly, I am just trying to determine the best way to lay the foam board without it being seen when the pool is complete (there will be landscaping on 3 sides of the pool and deck on 1 side)

Thanks all!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.