Hello, newbie here: Green tint to freshly filled pool

OK went and got professionally tested again and this is what I have.

FC 2.4
TC 2.4
CC 0.0
pH 7.8
CH 300
TA 110
CYA 30
Copper 0.04
Iron 0.00
Salt 2720

Having a few issues though, it may be time for a pool person to come out here. Sigh.

1. When vacuuming to waste, stuff is still coming out of the return jets. I got all the Crud off of the bottom only to find it back again this morning.
2. Booster pump broken, see other thread asking for help on that.
3. SWG does not seem to be reading correctly. 2720 should get me at least 65%, but more likely 80%.....it's reading 20%.
4. I do not think I am generating chlorine with the SWG......added a small jug of bleach last night just to get 2.4 this morning.

I hate pools! This thing is a MONEY PIT! :)

Not quite sure what you mean with your SWG? The percentage is the number you set the system to produce CL. If it's reading 20% then the cell is running the equivalent of 20 mins. for every hour of run time. As for your filter sounds like it needs a cleaning. Break it down possibly? Inside the tank at the top of the grids there is a filter that needs to be cleaned, that's what usually causes discharge back into the pool. To check if the SWG is producing, take a sample out of a running return and test it.

maxepr1 said:
Not quite sure what you mean with your SWG? The percentage is the number you set the system to produce CL. If it's reading 20% then the cell is running the equivalent of 20 mins. for every hour of run time. As for your filter sounds like it needs a cleaning. Break it down possibly? Inside the tank at the top of the grids there is a filter that needs to be cleaned, that's what usually causes discharge back into the pool. To check if the SWG is producing, take a sample out of a running return and test it.

It has a setting that says when it turned all the way up that the reading is your salt level. I have it all the way up and it is still reading 20%. I got the idea to take everything back apart and re-connect it all. Good idea, since some kind of way the grate where the water comes in the salt cell was completely covered again after a week with grass and junk. Thought I had found the issue. No go, cleaned it all up again, re-connected it and it is still reading 20%.

I did break down the filter, I do that every season before starting up. Cleaned it all out and re-charged the DE. I am wondering if parts are just going bad like the selector and the salt cell.

I am almost at $600 already to get the pool going and now it looks like I am in for a bunch more repairs. I literally want to fill the thing in with sand. If only I didn't have two kids who absolutely love the pool.

I got the SWG when I had the pool re-plastered which was in 2008. Now that I think about it, this would be the fifth swimming season since we did swim in 2008. So the cell is 4 years old but starting it's fifth season of swimming.

Mine is a Resilience, model PSC-3. The knob at full power tells you the level and then you adjust it from there. Full power shows you the highest it can do based on the salt it thinks it has. It has moved up to 35% but it is still way off.

I stuck the bottle for water collection right in front of the jet return and tested it. I got 4.0 FC and 7.7 pH. Seems like it might be making chlorine, but I cannot be sure. The CYA level may not be helping, I will add my other five pounds tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA of 90 is too high even for a SWG probably. Follow the recommendations here. And remember it is always easier to add more later than to have to remove some because you put in too much.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

jblizzle said:
CYA of 90 is too high even for a SWG probably. Follow the recommendations here. And remember it is always easier to add more later than to have to remove some because you put in too much.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

I thought so. Shooting to get it around 60 or 70. The pool calculator shows a range for me of 60 to 80. How long should I wait before testing the CYA again....a week?

That sounds like a good target. You using liquid or solid stabilizer? Liquid registers quickly on the test but the solid can take up to a week. Once you add it just assume you are at the level you dosed for and target your FC levels accordingly.

Later you can confirm your new CYA level and adjust as needed.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

The reading does not seem to be functioning but my chlorine seems to be doing OK. This may be the last season I get from this salt cell. I was looking and it seems as though the salt cell itself is about $500. I hate this one as far as the readout is concerned, I am wondering if just replacing it would be better. I have seen some that do digital readouts and boy would I enjoy that! :)

OK, knew that was too good to be true. Came home today to find some kind of light orange tint on some of the walls. Water is perfect crystal clear, here are my numbers.

FC 3.5
pH 8.2 (this may be the culprit)
TA 140
CH 260
CYA 70-75

So I run the pool calculator and low and behold the CSI (I guess that is CSI:New Orleans) in my case says scaling likely. Has to be a combo of the TA being a bit high and the pH being through the roof. We did get some rain, but jeez.....less than an inch.

Plan is to add about 60 oz. of muratic acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.