Water temp for testing

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
I jumped the gun on a streak of warm days and took the cover off of the pool and started the opening process. Now, it's taken a bit of a cold snap and the highs are going to be in the low 60s for the next couple of days. The water temp is probably in the lower 60s at the moment.

I'm asking because I've been bringing my samples inside to test the FC levels and I've noticed that after I mix the powder in the sample and stir for some time the water turns pink as it should. Then I do the drop test to turn the water clear. However, if I let it sit for another couple of minutes, it will turn pink again. Is my water too cold? Should I let it sit for a while before I test it?

I'm also asking because I'm eating through bleach like nobody's business. The pool is relatively clear but green tinted. (I know there's algae) It's dropping around 10 ppm per hour or so. Maybe I'm just not getting consistant results because I need to let the water warm up first?

Lots of randomness there. Hopefully someone can decipher.

Thanks,

Probably somewhat more accurate to get to 70-80 degrees but 60 is close enough that I doubt you could detect a difference.

Folks report the CYA test being somewhat inaccurate at winter time temperatures but that's the only significant difference I am aware of.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.